AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I presently have cable, connected through a splitter to my TV and to my 4508 so that I can watch one program and record a different program simultaneously.

Can anyone please help me to determine what equipment I need in order to do this if I change from cable to DirectTV satellite.

Thanks

John Dix

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Second, your going to need to run 2 cables from the satellite dish (or multiswitch box) to the room. Splitters don't work with DirecTV.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, ACE987 & ozzieman, that is what I needed to know. Is this the correct are to ask for a recommendation on make of receivers?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
You'll want a receiver that works with the ReplayTV serial port. Check the FAQ for the specific models.

Now what you want and what you get may be 2 different things depending on how your getting the system. Most of the promotion offers just give you whatever receiver they have on the shelf. This is even true going directly through DirecTV. Finally, there are very few new receivers that work with the serial control, so even if you get to choose it's going to be tough to find.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Get the multiswitch installed in the initial installation if you think you'll ever use more than two receivers. It will make it much easier to add the receivers later.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Ace987
You'll want a receiver that works with the ReplayTV serial port. Check the FAQ for the specific models.

Now what you want and what you get may be 2 different things depending on how your getting the system. Most of the promotion offers just give you whatever receiver they have on the shelf. This is even true going directly through DirecTV. Finally, there are very few new receivers that work with the serial control, so even if you get to choose it's going to be tough to find.
Thanks everyone. The FAQ lists about 50 or so compatible receivers, are not all of THEM OK to ask for?

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
Look at that again, and ask if you have questions. There are *very* few (almost none) that work serially with a current RTV. However, most people use IR (as I do) with no problems. I use the Samsungs 75s (three of them) with 0 recording problems.

As for the multiswitch, a new DirecTV install should get you a Phase III dish that comes with a 4-output M/S builtin. Ask over in the DBS forum and you'll get a lot of help. (You want a PIII dish for any future HD use, and I think they are only using them for new installs now. Worth any extra cost if you have to pay a few bucks to get it.)

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Of course you can ask for them all. I'd find out what they have and see which one works best with the ReplayTV. There are some that don't even work via IR Blaster, although I'm sure they are very few and far between.

You may even want to look into a DirecTivo while your at it. You can record 2 shows at once and even watch something already recorded all at the same time. The picture quality is better and you don't need to worry about the receiver since it's built in. You lose the commercial advance and it doesn't work with OTA or cable. There are more pros and cons, but those are the major factors.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by leesweet
Look at that again, and ask if you have questions. There are *very* few (almost none) that work serially with a current RTV. However, most people use IR (as I do) with no problems. I use the Samsungs 75s (three of them) with 0 recording problems.

As for the multiswitch, a new DirecTV install should get you a Phase III dish that comes with a 4-output M/S builtin. Ask over in the DBS forum and you'll get a lot of help. (You want a PIII dish for any future HD use, and I think they are only using them for new installs now. Worth any extra cost if you have to pay a few bucks to get it.)
Thank you. The cost is not the problem, I have a wife who is used to the ability to watch one and record another, that cannot be given up.:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Ace987
Of course you can ask for them all. I'd find out what they have and see which one works best with the ReplayTV. There are some that don't even work via IR Blaster, although I'm sure they are very few and far between.

You may even want to look into a DirecTivo while your at it. You can record 2 shows at once and even watch something already recorded all at the same time. The picture quality is better and you don't need to worry about the receiver since it's built in. You lose the commercial advance and it doesn't work with OTA or cable. There are more pros and cons, but those are the major factors.

The commercial advance is a MUST. Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.