AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being as I have a HD-200 with no firewire out and the nearest HD DirectTV PVR won't be around till later this year at earliest...I was looking for a good recording means to last me until I get an HD recording capable device.

I want to get a vcr, and want the best possible res I can get given that I can't get a digital recorder yet given my above limitations.

My question is, will S-VHS recorder (which has 400 lines res as I understand it) work well with a DirectTV settop box? Meaning can I expect to record at 400 lines res off the digital signal from a directTV reciever? And if the answer is yes, can I hook it up somehow between my HD200 and my Hitachi 57swx20b (which is currently hooked up via DVI) or would it be better going in my other room with my 35 inch analog TV which has just the normal RCA non-HD reciever?

Sorry if this isn't stricly an HD question, but I don't know where else to ask the question. thanks.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Yes, you will get the full resolution from the S-cable out of the directv box (approx 400 lines).

Yes, you can hook up the S-VHS between the sat box and the tv. You will have to switch to SD on the DTV box for recording though.

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
Note: some people have had problems with the S-Video output from the DTC100 HD set top box. You probably want to use a standard definition box.

DTV is heavily compressed and the native digital res of the signal is less than 640x480, so S-VHS is more than adequate to record it close to full quality. Regular VHS comes pretty close already.

·
Registered
7,005 Posts
I have used a couple of different JVC SVHS VCRs with HD STBs from RCA, Panasonic and Zenith for recording without any problems. The recordings from the HD material that has been downconverted by the STB does look better than the recordings from the std. def. Directv channels.

Ron Jones

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.