AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
You can plug in a drive via eSATA; however, the unit's internal drive will be completely unusable while the external drive is plugged in. You won't be able to access any preexisting recordings, or use that disk space in combination with the external disk. It's an all-or-nothing choice.

·
Registered
59 Posts
If I connect an external drive to the DirectTV DVR and record something, can I later connect it to my computer and have any kind of access to the files? Does the DiretTV record in .m2t or .ts files like the Comcast DVRs do?

·
Registered
1,342 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkozone /forum/post/14428395

If I connect an external drive to the DirectTV DVR and record something, can I later connect it to my computer and have any kind of access to the files? Does the DiretTV record in .m2t or .ts files like the Comcast DVRs do?

I'm sure they do like every other DVR does - they store the content in an encrypted form on the disk using a proprietary filesystem and a unit-specific key, preventing you from accessing or viewing the recordings. So no, you won't be able to pull the drive, plug it into your computer, and store those recordings for later or play them on your PC.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts