AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to get a combo directtv/hd (integrated OTA would be nice as well) box for christmas. In reading through the forum it looks like there are many options both with there pluses and minuses. What boxes should I be considering? I know best buy has the Hughes E86 for $500, which seems like a really good deal. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I went the E86 route myself and got it from my local Best Buy. At $499.99 plus tax, it was slightly better price than any deal I found online when you factored in S&H vs. state and local sales tax, plus if I had had a problem it was no big deal to return it to the store.

I hooked the E86 to a Zenith Silver Sensor indoor UHF antenna and to my old round Directv dish at first. I only got the oval dish hooked up a couple weeks ago. It works great. It has most of the features I wanted in a STB the sound and picture are great with my entertainment system in both HD and SD modes, the program guide is fast and easy to use. It's a great value.

I almost bought a Sony SAT-HD200, but opted for the E86 for a couple reasons...the RPTV I bought in July didn't have DVI, so I decided I didn't need an STB with DVI...the E86 has an IR blaster to control my vcr and Sony eliminated this feature from the HD200...the E86 has an UHF/RF remote control so I can control the STB even when I am watching it on a tv in another room and Sony dropped this feature from the HD200.

My one major complaint with the E86 is that it shuts off the s-video and a/v connections when you are in HD mode so you can't watch something in HD and record it in SD on your vcr. And, you have to remember to switch the E86 back to SD mode if you have a program scheduled to be recorded or you get a black screen and audio only on your video tape. But, that's a fairly minor complaint considering the HD200 was $799 when I bought my E86 for $499.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I bought the SAT-HD200 for $720 - $150 credit = $570 (no tax).

Benefits are: newest generation D* & OTA tuner, format selectable on remote, integrated guide for OTA & D*, snappy performance, DVI HDCP output.

ABT Electronics sells the HD200 for $720 for Agoraquest members. I called D* customer retention department before purchasing anything, and explained that I was looking at HD STBs and they were verrry expensive (especially compared to $5/mo cable box rental). D* does not have a specific program for HD credits (as they don't sell the STBs yet). However forum members have received $150-250 D* credits which are applied upon activation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.