AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if the title is alittle confusing. I just received my Zenith520 stb and D* is not coming to my house to install my triple lnb dish until tuesday and I absolutely "MUST" get ESPN HD before tomorrow night Vike's vs Bears game it is probably my only chance to see my Vikes in HD this year. That out of the way I have a dual lnb dish(RCA Direct Plus) in my garage collecting dust as I am still using my round dish. D* say ESPNHD comes off the sat C. so If I were to change the 2nd lnb to the 110 degree slot and run a direct line to my stb would I be able to pickup ESPNHD? My other option is taking the lnb from my round dish and adding to my oval dish but to my knowledge I need a combiner for the sat b & c. I still need to keep my other programming off sat A so is just switching the lnb from B to C the best way to just get ESPNHD? Please any help you guys can give would be GREATLY appreciated. GO VIKINGS!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Well none of that will work because the 110 lnb has to be the special Sat C lnb..not to mention as you say, you'd need the combiner to boot.

Point being though theres no way to just use a standard lnb (in any configuration) to pull in 110 from DirecTv. You'd have to go buy the Sat C lnb kit.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
Time to call a friend with ESPN HD... You'll have a tough time getting it all setup in one day. The sat-c kit is the big problem especially if you have one coming next week.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
a question. I have Directv with 2 - 24 inch dishes pointing at 2 satellites; 1 at 101 degrees and one at 119 degrees. I have the LNB satellite C kit. I am planning on getting a third 24 inch round dish and aiming it a satellite C at 110 degrees to obtain, mostly, HD programming. Possible? Round dishes are always better than the compromise of one dish trying to bring in programming from 3 satellites. I would much rather go this way than going with one dish for all 3 satellites.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So in theory if I took my dual lnb dish took the lnb for the 119 and placed and aimed it at 110 I should get the 110 hd broadcasts? so why would I need the combiner if I dont have the sat B lnb? all I want is ESPNHD for tomorrow since my new 3 lnb dish will be here on tuesday. Well im going to try it tomorrow and see will let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Thanks for requested info. Around here, persons with ONE dish getting 3 satellites are getting signal strengths of around 85. On satellites A and B I now get average of 96 out of 100. This helps looking thru leaves and rain and snow..the stronger the incoming signal, the better. And, perhaps., sat. C is more powerful than A and B. Of course, I will follow directions for combining LNB C with LNB B.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Funkenstein, the dish will work, but only if you use a Sat-C lnb!

A standard single/dual Sat-A/B LNB is not the the same as a Sat-C LNB.

The Sat-C LNB along with the combiner uses special switching to bring in transponders 1-21 for D* instead of E* from the 110 bird

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Funkenstein
So in theory if I took my dual lnb dish took the lnb for the 119 and placed and aimed it at 110 I should get the 110 hd broadcasts? so why would I need the combiner if I dont have the sat B lnb? all I want is ESPNHD for tomorrow since my new 3 lnb dish will be here on tuesday. Well im going to try it tomorrow and see will let you know how it turns out.
You might as well not bother Funk, it will *not* work. Trust us on this, as I said in my first response, without the Sat C lnb and combiner to add to what you already have, you have absolutely no chance to get 110 on DirecTv.

You might check with some Radio Shacks in your 'hood and see if they stock the Sat C kit. Some RS's do. If so, you could buy one, rig it up and then take it back later in the week after D* does your new install.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
I didn't totally look at the combiner, but I'd suspect it's multiplexes the sat signal in with the sat B signal. Without a sat B signal you got nothing to add the sat C to. I don't know if you can run a Sat C without a Sat B, maybe some para todos folks can comment on that.

I don't think you can combine it to the sat A signal, if you did I'm sure some frequencies would be doubled up causing you more trouble.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.