AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just hopped on with DirectTV, mainly because I really like Tivo vs. the VCR-with-a-harddrive like the competition has. That and my cable service in the center of Silicon Valley costs more and is still an archaic (barbaric?) A/B system.

Of course, there's a catch, compression. I can see it on my current Sony 27", but it is tolerable if annoying.

I'm just wondering how bad does this suck on a 50" plasma?

I'd like to get one, but I'm thinking it might be better to wait for HD-Tivo and panel prices to drop more.

·
23,049 Posts
I have a P50 and have been a D* customer for quite a while. Just

recently my town got digital cable and I now have it. Here, the digital

channels (the majority) beat the D* counterparts, some by a significant

margin. I was never really impressed by D* on the P50. It was tolerable

and some channels were not bad.

larry

·
Oppo Beta Group
12,292 Posts
You are right, a 50 inch plasma is far too revealing for DirectTV.

DirectTV has way too much compression. It is fuzzy. I really can't stand it. I just keep it for HD and they force me into a one year contract to upgrade my receiver.

I have Cable, Antenna, and DirectTV.

In cases where the same channel is on Cable and Antenna they are comparable. I never watch these stations on DirectTV. Interestingly,

DirectTV is giving me local status free for 3 months. You can really

see how bad they are. Mostly, I use Direct-TV for hi-def.

I prefer the resolution I get from cable, although the analog noise is there.

The good news is, sometime next year I should be able to get a HiDef TiVo and hopefully it will come with an HD cable ready tuner.

-- Rich

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RichB

The good news is, sometime next year I should be able to get a HiDef TiVo and hopefully it will come with an HD cable ready tuner.
The latest specs on it are that it will have 4 tuners. 2 DirecTV tuners (SD or HD), and 2 OTA tuners. It will be able to record 2 streams from any combination of the 4. It will have a 250GB hard drive for starters (about 30 hours of HD content... but obviously, 250GB will store a lot of SD content) and should be about $800.

No cable tuners, though.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I have two plasma, each connected to Direct.

The 50 is just too large for non- HD material. the 42 is a really good compromise and works quite well.

Interesting observation about the cable versus direct issue. I never thought in terms of the signal to noise being worse on cable but the signal not being so compressed WOULD make it more watchable.

DTV standard on the 50 looks like wax paper.

regards,

patrick

·
Registered
103 Posts
I agree: DTV sucks in non-hd on my 50 (CMX503). I purchased Sunday Ticket and some of the games are not watchable. On the other hand, 2 of the 4 football games on Sunday in HD are unbelievable (FOX sucks).

·
Registered
114 Posts
I agree D* SD looks bad compared to HD material. I have a 34" direct view 16:9 HD CRT and I find I now leave it in 4:3 mode with wide black bars on the sides just so D* SD programs are watchable. Are those with 50"er's trying to fill the screen (stretch) with SD material? Do most plasmas have a 4:3 setting and if so is SD material (480i) watchable (with the black bars)?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Totally depends on the channel.....

Some of the channels are so compressed, that I could notice it on the 26" screen...

So I have gotten use to sitting just a little further away, and not always stretching the image (leaving it at 4:3).

Even with the lower quality on some of the SD, I still will never ever go back to Cable. If DirecTV or even ***cough*** DishNetwork was still out there, cable is never coming back into my house.

The OTA HD I get and the HD from DirecTV is enough to keep me happy with my purchase, and the DirecTivo and it's quality is enough to keep me going in between pure HD contents.

It should not be long until DirecTV addresses the Compression issues... Plamsa asside, people are just bigger TV's... Our local Tweeter had an 80" for sale a while back...... People are going to start leaving DTV because of the compression....

Shouldn't be too long though, I know DTV has at least 1 if not more then 1 new satalite plan that will help with the bandwith up there.....

·
Oppo Beta Group
12,292 Posts
It may also depend on the receiver.

The Zenith HDS-520 (also sony) seem to excellent DSP's to reduce ghosting. I am sure they do it for HD, but it has the side effect of eliminating all ghosts, even on UHF channels.

-- Rich

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I certainly can see the compression artifacts on SD material on a Fujitsu P50 connected either to the Zenith HD-SAT520 or Sony T-60 or an Echostar 6000 (ExpressVu), but it's not intolerable... especially if the alternative is a smaller screen. I saw them on my 45" 4:3 RPTV too. Though not as much since the RPTV was a very dark picture by comparison.

I wouldn't really worry so much about it. Get the size unit that is appropriate for your room and viewing distance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.