·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
 USAToday article

This line makes me want to jump out and get one:

Quote:
Can users skip over ads? No.
I don't know exactly what they mean by this, but it doesn't sound good.

Also:

Quote:
DirecTV will reserve about 60 hours' worth of disc space for its own purposes, leaving consumers space for 100 hours of shows. The DVR has an on-screen bar showing how much recording time is left.

The company will load some of its reserved space with pay-per-view movies so they're available any time viewers want. There is no charge unless they watch the flick.
This is what scares me about PVR's owned by the providers. They give you a PVR with the illusion of content control, but in reality they have more control over your viewing than ever. Not to mention the access they have to your viewing habits.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chain777
I don't know exactly what they mean by this, but it doesn't sound good.
From the other data in that row and the footnote, it sounds like it won't have the equivalent of QuickSkip or Commercial Advance (user's should still be able to fast forward through ads though)

--

Daniel

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
I guess you missed this part:

Quote:
In addition to the lack of a skip forward or back feature, the new DirecTV DVR has a special feature that disables fast forward and rewind during commercial breaks. That's good news for advertisers, since it means viewers will no longer be able to skip through their commercials in any fashion on the new DirecTV DVR.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) My bad. It's not even April 1st. :D

·
Registered
712 Posts
That's freeking insane. Who in their right mind would consider that? I'd quit DirecTV before that would happen. Thats just stupid. I can't believe they would be so stupid as to bake in forced ad watching. Not even VCR does that. Did I say how I feel clearly enough?

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Whole tiers of unknowledgable people will fall pray: old people, hard working immigrants, idiots, soccermoms, etc.

Hopefully it will have the lowest level of success.

(me me me) I predicted this two years ago!

10-21-03

"Murdock/News corp could potentially make PVRs that forced people to watch commercials, but still let you reap shows.

Either that or commercials are in big trouble when generic pvrs are offered with basic packages.

There's alot of mean possibliltes if a company authors shows(fox), distributes shows (DTV) and builds it's own PVRs(NDS).

They could broadcast the good shows with 6 min worht of commercials at breaks instead of 3. They could make it so you can only do 15 second skips only once ever 5 seconds during commercials. they could start spaming people using the channel guide menu. They could, of course, collect info on patterns like tivo.

cow"

http://archive.avsforum.com/avs-vb/s...rp#post2821381

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
For those of you not highlighting the spoiler alert above:
Quote:
My bad. It's not even April 1st. :D
In other words, I made that stuff up.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by l8er
For those of you not highlighting the spoiler alert above:

In other words, I made that stuff up.
I'm pretty sure everyone get's that. But the reality is all of this is possible.

What they're going to load up on that 60 hours of disk space could be anything. PPV's, like they said, extra blocks of commercials, promo's that could come up at "opportune" times. Maybe they could collect viewing habits and direct market using customized commercials, spam, junk mail, whatever.

I know this sounds kind of paranoid, but it's not that far fetched. Comcast definitely screws with FF and RR response times with on-demand. I don't know about their PVR, but will find out in a week or so.

I'm sure I'm missing more of the puzzle, but it's pretty obvious where this is all going. Digital media is a double-edged sword. It's just too easy to manipulate and control.

Heading for the closet to get my tin foil hat

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
As someone who invested in directv, yeah now fox f'er.... I've always voiced my dissatifaction with the new systems I think it's a big mistake they are making. I understand why, but I think it's bad.

The last four items in the matrix at the end of that article should read YES, YES, YES and YES for the directivo with a +2 for hacks widely available on the web. I honestly don't understand the last item, it makes no sense to me. And the third item should read 60 minutes (unless this was a hack I didn't reallize was activated.

Also there's a hack to record the PPV and music channels, so the real winner is the tivo box.

I dislike the tivo system very much, but I think directv is doing a dumb thing if they don't renew the tivo service in 2007.

I'm also very curious about the transition to the mpeg-4 stuff. If they don't offer a tivo solution to that I may just take my business elsewhere. And I've been a customer for close to 10 years.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Say the box does DL PPV movies automatically... how long do you think it'll be before someone has a hack available for us to crack those PPV movies open without paying? I think that might actually be a reason to get one! Free PPV movies, baby!

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Such blatant talk reflects on the board owners and widens their exposure to lawsuits and supeonas. I don't think you understand the culture of this board. Such talk is not allowed.

Talking about the pointlessness of hardware DRM or it's chilling effects on digital evolution is one thing. Blatantly expressing intent to break laws is another.

btw, if you were ever caught hacking a box, potentially a lawyer could use TheWayBackMachine and refer to the post you just wrote as evidence of criminal intent.

Don't get me wrong though. I'm glad people snap off the locks, not because I'm a super pirate that wants people to get free hbo.. for other Stallman/EFF/ACLU-like reasons.

But the bottom line is the board owners regulate the board and that talk isn't allowed.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Well LOL U got me. I did see that but thought it was a silly sig-line.

And here I haven't posted in prolly 6 months and u made me post on that.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyker
... I haven't posted in prolly 6 months and u made me post on that.
Welcome back! :D

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
Not only that but, the PPV stuff is only granted access to decode with approval from the card. And for the card to do that you'd need to have purchased the show.

The directivo group had been able to record such programs in the old DSS-hack days of the HU cards. Before directv shut off that data stream. Really isn't that impressive if you ask me as DVDs generally come out at about the same time. So what you grab a show that you pay to watch and what burn a DVD? Factor in the time, and supplies and other needed purchases, well, you got about the cost of a DVD right there. Nevermind the directv feed is pan and scan or letterboxed where the DVD is anamorphic. No real question what's the better way to go!

·
Registered
707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by icecow
Such blatant talk reflects on the board owners and widens their exposure to lawsuits and supeonas. I don't think you understand the culture of this board. Such talk is not allowed.

Talking about the pointlessness of hardware DRM or it's chilling effects on digital evolution is one thing. Blatantly expressing intent to break laws is another.

btw, if you were ever caught hacking a box, potentially a lawyer could use TheWayBackMachine and refer to the post you just wrote as evidence of criminal intent.

Don't get me wrong though. I'm glad people snap off the locks, not because I'm a super pirate that wants people to get free hbo.. for other Stallman/EFF/ACLU-like reasons.

But the bottom line is the board owners regulate the board and that talk isn't allowed.
Since I am an intellectual property attorney, I think I know where the line not to cross is... and trust me, I haven't crossed it.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonblair
Since I am an intellectual property attorney, I think I know where the line not to cross is... and trust me, I haven't crossed it.
It's not my intention to argue, but I got to call you on this.

For one, it's a matter of the boards policy. Neither me or you decide where the line is, though I have been exposed to what is expected.

The other thing is you didn't support your claim, you merely declared by decree of being an aledged ip attorney.

grr

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonblair
It's not my intention to argue, but I got to call you on this.

For one, it's a matter of the boards policy. Neither I or you decide where the line is, though I have been exposed to what is expected.

The other thing is you didn't support your claim, you merely declared by decree of being an aledged ip attorney.

grr

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by icecow
being an aledged ip attorney.
Don't jump! Things can't be all that bad...

·
Registered
436 Posts
Quote:
In addition to the lack of a skip forward or back feature, the new DirecTV DVR has a special feature that disables fast forward and rewind during commercial breaks. That's good news for advertisers, since it means viewers will no longer be able to skip through their commercials in any fashion on the new DirecTV DVR.
I8er - where did you find this quote?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.