AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I had the 5 LNB dish installed over a year ago.

We had some windy days over the past month or two and now, I see that one side of the multiswitch which is mounted below the dish, is coming off the wall.

And the cable run, which had been put along the rain gutter with plastic ties, have come off so the cable is just hanging on its way down.

The multiswitch is about 20-25 feet above the ground.

Called Direct TV. They said if I had been paying their extended warranty at $5.99 a month, I'd be paying $20 for the first visit and then free after that.

Otherwise, it would be $80.

Anyone face a similar situation, needing work done on an installation done by Direct TV?

How much did it cost and anyone able to get them to do it for less, perhaps complain to Retention?

I think I'm on the hook to them until Sept. or October, as part of my 2-year dealwhen I got the HR20.

·
Registered
218 Posts
If you have or can borrow a long ladder, it sounds like something fixable with a few screws and cable straps. This is one way to avoid the charges. That's how I would do it

·
Registered
8,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Need a really tall ladder.

When I first got the service, that was one of the problems. It's one of those multilevel townhouse buildings which are very tall with a slant roof on top. So the dish had to be mounted on the wall.

Had to specify that the installer they sent out here had extra tall ladders.

If the screws came off the multiswitch (and I'm also wondering if the disk mounts are secure too), may need new holes for the screws drilled as well.

Called a local installer and they badmouthed the work of Ironwood, which D* contracts to do the installations.

Said he'd do the work for $120-140 with a 1-year warranty, compared to $80 quoted by D* with a 3-month warranty.

Strange how those plastic cable ties snapped off as if they were cut clean. Maybe the sun weakened them and the gusty winds snapped them.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I've had to have my dish tweaked a few times, but I have the service plan so it was free each time. It's like insurance, you may or may not need it, but when you do it pays for itself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts