AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For my 12-unit condo building, I'm trying to get the board to approve putting a single satellite antenna on the roof. It would be great if that one dish could get both DirecTV and Dish Network, and people could hook into either one using splitters. But I think the Sat C kit would foil that plan, since it involves using a different LNB for the 110 satellite, which would make that LNB incompatible with the Dish receivers. Also the bridging of the 110 and 101 LNBs with the Sat C kit will further foil compatibility with Dish.

I know that I could probably just not use the Sat C kit and instead put a Dish LNB in the 110 position, and that would probably be successful; I could split the 6 cables from the LNBs with splitters into 2 multiswitches, one for Dish and DirectTV. But that won't do for me, since I need Sat C.

I know that the single antenna won't receive Dish 61.5 or 148; that is a different problem but solvable since people can mount separate dishes on their patios for 148 if they want to (patios can't receive 101, 110, or 119 due to the geometry of our building).

So am I correct that there is no way of getting both Dish and DirecTV (with Sat C) from one dish?

-Tom

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Thats about the size of it. Now of course you could still get alot of Dish's core programming from 119 alone and not use 110, but there are some things that some folks would want from 110 naturally I suppose (though I'm not one of them, I only use 119 since the few SD channels I care to have are on that bird). On the other hand, you mention you needing the Sat C lnb at 110 which you do for Showtime HD, but then again you yourself could mount another dish for 148 as you suggested others could do, to get Showtime HD from 148 yourself. Not that you'd switch to Dish from DirecTv just for that (not to mention giving up HDNet) if you're already a DirecTv customer though.

Certainly from a logical perspective, at least as of now, since it's a shared situation you'd get more mileage out of using 110 for Dish as opposed to the Sat C for the 1 channel from DirecTv that maybe only you yourself of the 12 would even use. But even if you're the only 1 out of 12, since it's your plan that makes it ok I guess. ;)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very cool install article, vruiz.

But it doesn't seem to share 110 with DirecTV and Dish; it says:

"The outputs of the 110 LNBF go directly into the SW42 because I am not using 110 with DirecTV"

So it looks like there is no way.

-Tom

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.