AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recieved my 3rd HDTV STB for D*for my new home theater The issue I have is that I only have 2 lines coming into my hoiuse from my triple LNB dish. Running a third line is not an option because they all run underground through a condiut. I would like to have all 3 STB's active because they are in different rooms.

What are my options?

I do have my house wired with multiple RG6 lines into a central hub so the STB's could be diay chained together if that is possible.

My only other option is to maybe get an RG6 switcher or manually disconnect and reconnect the lines from one feed to another STB when I need to. There would never be an instance when I would need to watch more than 1 STB at a time. My concern with not having a live feed into each STB all the time is that my card might keep going down if it is not hooked up to a dish 7 X24. Doesn't D* always send messages to each STB?

My last course of action would be to deactivate my STB in my bedroom and just use the other 2.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I was going to call D* to activate my new Sony STB but wanted to know my options first.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
You must have separate lines from the dish or a multiswitch to each receiver. A switch will work as long as it breaks the contact with one receiver before it connects to the other one. This is so that you don't short the two together. And, you didn't state this as an option. But, for others who may visit this thread. Don't try using a splitter. It won't work.

Can you use one of the exisiting lines in the conduit to pull through more lines? Use a line to pull a rope through and then use the rope to pull more coax back. I don't have to tell you that you should have had all four lines run from the dish for future expoansion. :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks JDspencer

I did have 4 lines through the condiut but 2 of them are being used for my Bell Expresvu. In hind sight I should have had 8 lines pulled through.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.