AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about buying one of the new DirectTV/Tivo units (Philips DSR6000). Eventually however I'd like to get a 24" dish and receive HTDV broadcasts. Is the DirectTV/Tivo combo unit a bad idea given this? Can I buy a separate STB to handle the HTDV signal, or must it come via the DSS receiver?

Thanks!

------------------

Brian

[email protected]

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
The DirecTivo will work for standard definition programming only. You will need a separate STB to handle the HD programming. You can get one that does over the air(OTA) only or one that does OTA and DirecTV (your best choice).

-Robert

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Robert.

So if I have a DirectTiVo unit already and want to get HTDV programming from DirectTV (not *record* HDTV, just view it), it seems like I'll have to buy another DSS receiver like the Sony SAT-HD100 or RCA DTC-100. Is this technically feasible? Like, I have to split the dish signals so that the HTDV LNB goes into the HDTV DSS receiver, and the signal from the other LNB goes to the DirectTiVo unit?

Thanks!

------------------

Brian

[email protected]

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by deus:
Thanks, Robert.

So if I have a DirectTiVo unit already and want to get HTDV programming from DirectTV (not *record* HDTV, just view it), it seems like I'll have to buy another DSS receiver like the Sony SAT-HD100 or RCA DTC-100. Is this technically feasible? Like, I have to split the dish signals so that the HTDV LNB goes into the HDTV DSS receiver, and the signal from the other LNB goes to the DirectTiVo unit?

Thanks!

Most new dishes have 2 outputs. The eliptical dish required to receive HD from DirecTV comes with a multiswitch. The multiswitch allows up to 4 receivers to be connected to the dish. The DirecTivo (which requires 2 of the 4 outputs for the dual tuner functionality) and a second STB for HD will coexist with no problems.

·
Registered
734 Posts
This is exactly what I've done over the last three months.

I bought the Sony SAT-T60 DirecTiVo receiver and then waited until we moved into our new house to get the HDTV and HD receiver (Mits HD5).

Be aware that TiVo and HD are almost diametrically opposed in the way you will watch them. With HD, you have to watch it live and suffer through the commercials (although they will look better than usual!). You'll find yourself watching whatever is on in HD, even if you wouldn't normally watch it. If you come in late, too bad. With TiVo, you can watch what you want, when you want, no matter when it's broadcast and never see another commercial. With TiVo, you'll never watch live TV again (unless it's in HD of course).

I save the HD for the network broadcasts that are in HD, as well as HBO-HD on 509 for the occasional movie. Everything else, I TiVo.

I also bought the Sony 24" dish, which comes with a 4x4 multiswitch, allowing up to four receivers to be hooked up. Since the DirecTiVo requires two inputs to use the second tuner (which will be activated sometime "this summer"), that leaves one lead available for a receiver in another room. I actually love the TiVo so much, I'm thinking of getting one for the bedroom. This will then require five satellite outputs, so I already bought a 5x8 multiswitch.

------------------

Tom

Sony SAT-T60 DirecTc>ic>Vc>oc> w/2.0.1

Sony SAN-24MD 24" elliptical dish

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Excellent explanations everyone. Thanks!

I just got my new DirectTiVo yesterday and hooked it all up. Sweet! I'll start looking into a 24" dish now and (gulp) STB when I start feeling rich again (yeah right :).

Cheers,

------------------

Brian

[email protected]

·
Registered
345 Posts
I use a standalone Sony Tivo with the Mits HD-5, and just watch live HD when on, otherwise, I'm viewing through Tivo. Of course you will get a better picture with the DirectTivo then the standalone.

Steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.