AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an RCA 38310, which has a built in DirectTV turner. I want to see the new HBO series ‘Band of Brothers,’ which I understand will be in HD. I only want the $13 HBO package. So my questions are:

Can I point a single 18†dish at 119 and not use 101?

What will I miss not having 101 with the HBO package?

Blockbuster has a $10 single unit package with free instillation. Would it be possible to ask the installer to point it at 119 instead of 101?

Does the installer have to install the cheap receiver with its card, or can I just active the RCA 38310 TV?

Worst case, I think I would have to pay $5 for the extra receiver and deactivate the cheap receiver later. I have to subscribe to a $22 package, but I think I can cancel it after one month.

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I believe you can use DTV with just 119.

Without 101, you will lose almost everything besides HBOHD, which shows everything on HBO East either 16x9HD or 4x3 upconvert in a 16x9 frame (bars on left/right). You may get HBOL which is spanish and I believe part of para todos (the spanish package mostly - maybe entirely - broadcast on 119). You will also get ch199, which is the demo loop and PPV HD.

I would bet that the installer would install to 119, but you'd probably have to ask them nicely as it's probably not something they NEED to do. I would bet the same applies to activating your card instead of the cheapo unit's card.

You could probably increase your chances of the installer doing 119 for you if you could give them the coordinates for 119 from your region. I forget where to look, but searching the forum should yield good results as I've definitely seen it posted here before.

I bet you're correct that you could just let them do whatever and add your receiver and cancel the freebie later.

hope this helps,

jake

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help.

I know where to get the coordinates for 119, that’s a good idea. ( www.dbsdisk.com )

Also, are the software updates broadcasts sent on 119 as well?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Not so fast. Directv sends the program guide down via 101 and the HD feed down via 119. You cant see whats on 119 without first receiving the program info via 101 so you'll need either 2 18" dishes or 1 oval dish.

Why not just pick up an 18x24 oval dish via ebay or something. That should come with the dish, 4x4 multiplex switch and other things you need. It should set you back about $85-$90 and you'll need to do the install yourself.

·
Registered
51 Posts
One thing to keep in mind as well is that I believe Blockbuster requires you to sign up for a 1 year agreement and its going to be a lot more than $12.

Definately go the Ebay route and keep in mind that you'll need to pick up 4 sets of rg-6 cable, 2 for each of the 2 lnb's...

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by denvermitch:
Not so fast. Directv sends the program guide down via 101 and the HD feed down via 119. You cant see whats on 119 without first receiving the program info via 101 so you'll need either 2 18" dishes or 1 oval dish.

No, guide infor is broadcasted across all 3 orbital slot. If you don't believe. unplug the wire for 101w and then turn off your receiever and turn it back on. You will only get the 119w channels in your guide.

------------------

Directv Subscriber (oval dish)

RCA UTV, Hughes 2 E25 and 1 Hughes E11

Wishlist:

Sony T60

·
Registered
241 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by denvermitch:
Why not just pick up an 18x24 oval dish via ebay or something. That should come with the dish, 4x4 multiplex switch and other things you need. It should set you back about $85-$90 and you'll need to do the install yourself.

Or go to Walmart and pick up the DirecTV plus package for $99 that includes a RCA receiver and 18x24 Dish. Then you can sell the receiver and the virgin card if you don't need it and come out even cheaper for just the dish! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

·
Registered
51 Posts
Corey,

I disagree regarding guide info being transmitted via all 3 satellites. Yes, you will receive the 119 programming by itself if thats all you have plugged in but only after you have downloaded the guide info via the 101.

Plug your 119 in for 4-5 days and you'll see that it shuts off when the guide info runs out.

Mitch

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Verrrry Interesting! Thanks everybody for the input. I think I will try the Blockbuster deal at my local store and see if they will upgrade to the oval dish. A $10 oval dish would be great.

I had also found the Walmart.com deal for $100, but was not sure if it included any long-term commitment. Wal-Mart also said it would take 6-17 days for delivery. They don’t seem to stock it.

Also, in my web searching today I found that HBO has a $20 online rebate. Maybe if I call DirectTV retention office after I subscribe, I can get them to pay me to get their service. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

PS How do I make sure I get an outdoor switch from the installer?

·
Registered
904 Posts
Well, I don't know about the guide, but you don't really need it if you're only getting 1 or 2 channels anyway IMHO. I usually look up HBOHD online at hdtvgalaxy.com because they give the detail on 1080i vs upconversion, etc.

There are pros and cons to the oval dish. The biggest con is signal strenght suffers overall, you must compromise to get both sats on one dish and that makes you much more suceptible to rainouts, etc. Of course, the plus is you only have one dish to futz with and you get all channels.

denvermitch has a good point about any contractual obligations with the blockbuster deal, I definitely didn't think about that.

jake

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
To more precisely answer the question - you will miss the 6 odd HBO SD channels you are paying for without 101. You should still be able to get demo/midnight PPV channel (I do w/o a "lifeline" package).

I don't know what all the buying and swapping advice is. Just get the elliptical dish with 2 Dual LNBs if you want 101 (make sure you only get the outdoor switch so you only run one wire from the outside in (vs. 4)). If you are only going to use with the new set just get an elliptical with two single LNBs (or doubles) and use a simple 22 kHz switch ($20). It will work fine except for the signal strength issues noted above and hassle at hitting two sats from the elliptical.

Don't let that built in sat receiver go to waste.....

Tim

·
Registered
399 Posts
I recently ordered a $9 DirecTV system at my local Blockbuster store in MD.

They insisted in upgrading it to the oval "para todos" dish at no additional cost, perhaps because the Baltimore locals are on the other bird.

You must accept the professional installation as Blockbuster does not stock the hardware in the store and the installer will bring yours with him. You also must activate it at $21.99 or above or pay a fine.

The key word is "activate". Once activated, there is no specified contract length. You can cancel after the first month if you wish.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.