AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody tell me how to avoid a one year contract with directv. I purchased the 18x24 dish and was given (from relatives) my needed receivers. What can I do to activate without a damn contract.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
At this point in time, D* is makng it a policy that all new subs (or activating a new receiver on the account), for which you will be receiving a NEW access card, requires a 1 year commitment. Deal with it, or don't get D*.

·
Registered
120 Posts
bb1987,

It has nothing to do with HDTV programming... but why do you ask? This IS a Non-HDTV forum.

·
Registered
729 Posts
This post was just moved from the HDTV Programming to the DBS General - Non-HDTV forum. And rightfully so.

I don't think a one-year commitment is extreme, considering how much equipment and service new customers can get at no cost.

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
It is very extreme for a current subscriber. I have 5 receivers activated (paid full price for all). When I telephoned in to make a change D* informed me of the new rule. What choice do I realistically have.

If I wanted only DISH I would cancel my credit card autopay and discontinue service with D* Let D* try to enforce this rather dubious one sided "contract". Seems D* is taking out his frustrations on his loyal customers.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mikey mo
It is very extreme for a current subscriber. I have 5 receivers activated (paid full price for all). When I telephoned in to make a change D* informed me of the new rule. What choice do I realistically have.

If I wanted only DISH I would cancel my credit card autopay and discontinue service with D* Let D* try to enforce this rather dubious one sided "contract". Seems D* is taking out his frustrations on his loyal customers.
They can always send you to collections if your card is declined. Some credit card companies will follow up on you even though you cancelled their cards.

But I do agree, the 1 year commitment is draconian, and if anything is preventing me from adding receivers to my account.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just signed up to DirecTV. I was shocked that they required a 1 year commitment. I signed up anyway... better than digital cable. I figure I can

always take use it somewhere else.

·
Registered
63 Posts
As I understand it (and I might be wrong) the one year obligation only applies when purchasing a NEW receiver, as DIRECTV partially subsidizes the retailer on each sale of a box. If you were to buy a used box, I can't imagine you would be required to ante up for a year.

~oom

·
Registered
63 Posts
As I understand it (and I might be wrong) the one year obligation only applies when purchasing a NEW receiver, as DIRECTV partially subsidizes the retailer on each sale of a box. If you were to buy a used box, I can't imagine you would be required to ante up for a year.

~oom

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
No - you activate a new receiver (for which they will send you a new P4 card), you incur a 1 year commitment. If you're a long time sub, and holler long enough and loud enough, you may get them to drop that..

·
Registered
744 Posts
I was a directv user and quit to save money. I have some older equipment I wouldn't have to do a year's contract but I would have to buy the card which was 20 bucks.

On another note, they also have a select choice plan for 24.99 with 50 or so channels, does anyone know about this?

Thanks

Josh

·
Registered
744 Posts
Okay, I found out about the select choice. I may have to jump back on the band wagon. I miss my dish but didn't want to pay the 32 bucks. What can I say I'm a cheapskate.

Josh

·
Registered
632 Posts
Let us know if they will sell you Select Choice. It is my understanding that the lowest they will sell in now Total Choice.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Burgess
This post was just moved from the HDTV Programming to the DBS General - Non-HDTV forum. And rightfully so.
Thanks. I was thinking everybody had hit the egg nogg already.

:D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ADent
Let us know if they will sell you Select Choice. It is my understanding that the lowest they will sell in now Total Choice.
They wont sell Select Choice to new subscribers, but if you are an existing subscriber you can ask to downgrade to Select Choice.

I wanted to drop DirecTV because of the basic package requirements. I didnt want CNN, ESPN, etc. because I get that through Comcast.

They offered me premiums free for couple months, PPV coupons, locals free for months, or were willing to downgrade me to Select Choice.

However they would not let me just take the Philly locals and HBO. I only wanted locals and HBO (and/or any premiums), they wouldnt allow it. I wanted locals only because I have a DirecTiVo unit and it has dual tuners which is handy. But I cancelled since I am with Comcast and Comcast has locked SportsNet and my dad insists we have SportsNet.

Comcast in Camden County new rate for HBO in 2003 is $18.25 now for 3 channels of HBO. I can get $13.99 plus $5 Access on Dish Network and get more feeds of HBO than from Comcast.

DirecTV does not want to sell the premiums by itself even though I think there is a market for those that have to keep basic cable (for locals or whatever) but want premiums from another provider at a better price.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I was told by CSR some time ago that if I upgraded my service that I could never downgrade back to SC. Otherwise, I would have tried that TC Platinum (or whatever it is called) promo $80 minus $20 promo. Of course with the extra reciever, locals, and UTV fee that puts me right back to $80, not to mention tax and my movie channel. So I just stayed with SC.

While I likely would not have stayed at that level, I well might have at least opted for a higher level of service. But I didn't want to risk losing my SC, which basically fills my needs and why I went from E* to D* in the 1st place.

It used to be, and may still be, that you could sub to a sports pak and add locals or movies at the website. Only problem is that when the season ended you lost the locals or movies too. Some folks got grandfathered into HD Net for the same purpose and just paid the monthly fee. Not an option now though.

But E* will let you sub to the Dominion Sky Angel channels (religous programming) for $10 and get locals and movies without getting a standard pak.

-----------------------------------

They offered me premiums free for couple months, PPV coupons, locals free for months, or were willing to downgrade me to Select Choice.

-----------------------------------

What do you gotta do to get that offered? I did recently get 3 months free locals, because they slipped up and sent me an offer directed to subs that didn't already have locals.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I can see a 1 yr. requirement if they are providing subsidized hardware. This has been std. practice w. cel carriers for years. They all charge a cancellation penalty if you drop service before the year (or 2 years) is up. There is no reason to require a contract if you are providing the hardware.

...mike

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Scooper
Deal with it, or don't get D*.
E* has the same policy too, as a matter of fact theirs are alot more draconian - 1 year commitment plus $15 if you "downgrade" your programming package.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.