AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased and installed a "B" stock 24"x18" dish for my RCA DTC-100. Given all the previous postings from people who had problems, I'm surprised the installation went as smoothly as it did.

Anywho, I'm located at 75 degrees West by 45 degrees North and I'm getting the following signal strengths: 101 - 85%, 119 - 66%. Is there supposed to be a ~20 point difference between the two?

I have tried tweaking all the settings - elevation, tilt, azimuth - and can't seem to get the 119 signal strength any higher. Everything works like it should, but with the numerous thunderstorms and heavy rains we get here during the summer, I'm convinced that I'll be suffering through lots of rain fade.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I am in New England, and despite my spending nearly two hours adjusting the oval dish, and an installer coming in and spending another two hours using a signal strength meter, the highest I can get on 119 is high 50s to low 60s with the 101 satellite coming in high 80s to mid 90s. But, having had this set up now for seven months and through two tremendous rain storms in the last few weeks, I have never experienced rain fade from either satellite. When I had the round dish pointed at 101, I had signal strengths similar to what I now have for 101 and experienced rain fade with any heavy rain. I can't figure out why, but maybe the elliptical dish helps reduce rain fade.

SMK

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
The transpoder on 119 currently produce less power then the one on 101W until Directv 6 launches in August. This should improve pq.

------------------

What is popular is not always right.

What is right is not always popular.

It is better to be quiet and thought a fool than to speak and remove all

doubt.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don't think the transponders are weaker on the 119 bird! I get an average signal level of around 90 on those transponders. I think the further south you live the better signal you will have. (I live in Mississippi.) The satellites are located above the equater, this being said, the same is also true with the 101 bird! However I believe the transmitting antenna(e) on the 119 may be aimed a little further south than those on the 101. I believe Directv is also trying to cover Mexico with that satellite. In addition to HD programming, the 119 bird also supplies "Para Todos" programming to spanish speaking customers!

·
Registered
98 Posts
My 101 strength is normally in the low nineties and my 119 strength is normally in the high 70s. Occassionally get digital artifacts with the 119 channels, and rarely see this with the 101 channels.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I have about a 10 point difference in strength between the two birds. Even though the dish instructions said not to adjust the tilt setting after it was initially set, I found that adjusting it a few degrees made the number higher on the 119, without effecting 101.

------------------

Steve

Visit our dedicated home theater, The City Cinema.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The tilt is a very critical adjustment on the 24" oval, probably the most important! I set up a small tv outside near my dish so I could see the signal level as I made adjustments. First I tried to find the highest level I could on the 119 bird then I sacrificed some of my 101 signal to try and balance the two birds out. I have an average signal level of 90 on both 119 and 101 ! I figure balancing the signal this way would be the best way.

·
Registered
228 Posts
According to the technician who set up my dish. He said most people from New York get low 70s for 119. I got the high 70s and his job was done. (sneaky but probably right)

If you are getting signal strength lower than 50. I would suspect you are not aiming the bird correctly. May have very little with your stb.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.