AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just happened to turn on ch. 198 on DIRECTV at midnight for the beginning of "The Tuxedo" and to my surprise, noticed it was being broadcast in DD 5.1. Maybe I missed something but I was not aware that DIRECTV was using 5.1 on either 198 or PPVs on 199. Does anyone know when they started using 5.1 on their PPV movies? I may break down and start ordering the movies now if they are indeed in 5.1. Or possibly, is the 5.1 turned on now in preperation for the USA-HD telecast of "The Masters"?

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
DirecTV began using 5.1 on some PPV HDTV movies with the release of Simone last month (?). Hdnet has been 5.1 for a few months now, I believe.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I don't know that their rationale is in deciding which movies they decide to send the 5.1 audio stream. You would think that, since almost all current movies have 5.1 audio, and since they charge a hefty PPV price, they would send the 5.1 audio on all movies.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
LOTR was the only HD-PPV I've ordered, but that was just to see how it looked. Now that they're using 5.1 in some cases I'll look into buying some more. Now I just need to figure out a way to know what they'll be. I see that they have "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" and "Road to Perdition" listed, but I don't see any way to figure out whether those are in 5.1 or not.

Does the information show up on the DirecTV program guide or do we need to actually wait for the movie to start to find out?

Thanks,

Darin

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
darinp...I think you need to wait for the program to begin. Even in the Blockbuster PPV intro last night, it stated the movie was in "Dolby Surround" then I was surprised to see it go right into DD 5.1. You can't really plan to watch anything in advance if you desire the 5.1.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kipp...yes the first 5 minutes are free. But there should be a better way to let us know well in advance. Maybe Rupert will improve this system!

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Quote:
Does anyone know when they started using 5.1 on their PPV movies
It depends on two things. What DirecTV is willing to pay for such soundtracks and if it's available.

For the responce from DirecTV that you are looking for, you will find it in THIS THREAD.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.