AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you may have saw Directv advertised free 4K broadcast for the Olympics and numerous other events since then. (They may have advertised it before the Olympics, but that was the first time I recall seeing ads).

Anyway, the ad was something like “...4k content free for Directv customers....”

So I tune into the the channel that was advertised and receive a message that I need to call Directv to activate it, fair enough.

I spoke to the representative that said that the 4K boxes that are required to view the free content, are only available to new customers....

(ok, that seems to be a little misleading from the ad, but I figured there has to be some way around this).

In the end, they offered to give me 4K capability for a mere $550.00.

I asked what would happen if I disconnected my service and then re-activated it. In that case, she said, it would be free. (Lol, I guess logic is no longer involved).

Anyway, has anyone been able to “upgrade” to the “free 4K” that directv offers without canceling your service, mailing in the boxes, then rescheduling a new install??

·
Registered
684 Posts
As many of you may have saw Directv advertised free 4K broadcast for the Olympics and numerous other events since then. (They may have advertised it before the Olympics, but that was the first time I recall seeing ads).

Anyway, the ad was something like “...4k content free for Directv customers....”

So I tune into the the channel that was advertised and receive a message that I need to call Directv to activate it, fair enough.

I spoke to the representative that said that the 4K boxes that are required to view the free content, are only available to new customers....

(ok, that seems to be a little misleading from the ad, but I figured there has to be some way around this).

In the end, they offered to give me 4K capability for a mere $550.00.

I asked what would happen if I disconnected my service and then re-activated it. In that case, she said, it would be free. (Lol, I guess logic is no longer involved).

Anyway, has anyone been able to “upgrade” to the “free 4K” that directv offers without canceling your service, mailing in the boxes, then rescheduling a new install??
How long have you been a Directv customer? Reason I ask is because I'm wondering if that might be an issue.

Reactions: 084runnerltd

·
Registered
684 Posts
Maybe 2yrs...
Short history is probably why you're being asked to pay. I plan to order 4K from them in March ahead of the Masters golf tournament. I've been a customer for over 14 years so I hope to pay nothing. Unfortunately, I think longevity is the only leverage we have. And if I'm asked to, I'll only do so in exchange for increased content or a reduced bill.

Reactions: 084runnerltd

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Short history is probably why you're being asked to pay. I plan to order 4K from them in March ahead of the Masters golf tournament. I've been a customer for over 14 years so I hope to pay nothing. Unfortunately, I think longevity is the only leverage we have. And if I'm asked to, I'll only do so in exchange for increased content or a reduced bill.

Hopefully it will work out for you. Or perhaps by then they will discover the flaws of having people cancel and re-sign up.

I would think their current system of making people cancel and restart would just cost them more in shipping (to send back the boxes) as well, there is downtime where a customer could decide to switch to a different provider....just doesn’t make sense to me.

Or perhaps by now, they have already addressed the issue. I should prolly try calling again and see what they tell me now....

I would have happily paid some sort of fee to have a tech come out, but $550.00 seemed too pricey for me.

Let me know if it works out for ya!

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
It would be no surprise if you were made to cancel and re subscribe. That's almost always how it works - existing subscribers are screwed over the newcomers. Also check the fine print - sometimes they're aware of this and ensure new subscribers are those who had not had service within the past 6 months.

Before cord cutting, there were people who constantly flip between multiple services - cable, satellite, etc, constantly jumping when a competitor gave them a new offer - every 6 months they cancelled their old service and subscribed to the new one.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
It would be no surprise if you were made to cancel and re subscribe. That's almost always how it works - existing subscribers are screwed over the newcomers. Also check the fine print - sometimes they're aware of this and ensure new subscribers are those who had not had service within the past 6 months.

Before cord cutting, there were people who constantly flip between multiple services - cable, satellite, etc, constantly jumping when a competitor gave them a new offer - every 6 months they cancelled their old service and subscribed to the new one.

I figured since I made this post, I might as well give them a call and try again.

Good news, I called them, I didn’t reference my previous attempt, I just said that I saw an advertisement for 4K through Directv and was interested in having it.

The lady was super polite (polar opposite of the one I spoke to previously) I did spend about 15-20 minutes on hold, but at the conclusion she came back on the line and stated, “You will need professional installation which is 49.99, I was able to waive 1/2 of the cost for you, but it will cost about $25.00, is that OK?”

(Also stated that I would be locked into a contract for 24 months or would have to pay $240.00 (10 for every month not fulfilled of the contract) to cancel, which is fine with me.)

MISSION SUCCESSFUL!

Hopefully this was a corporate decision and is not based solely on the representative that answers the phone.

Hoping things go this easy for others that are trying to upgrade!

·
Registered
835 Posts
I was able to upgrade to 4K for free back in July 2018. I got all new equipment. A reverse band LNB for the satellite dish. A Genie 2 HS17-500 which is the server and a C61K-700 which is the 4K client. DirecTV 4K is currently limited to 3 channels. 104 general information 4K, 105 pay-per view, 106 live event that shows selected 4k live events for example an NBA game is on tonight. I upgrade my equipment once every 2 years for free. Been with DIRECTV since 2011

1 - 8 of 8 Posts