AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DirecTV 5 was given a no go for launch due to a no go condition in its Proton launch vehicle. launch is tentativly resceduled for tuesday 5-7-02.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
This satellite will provider zero tangible benefit for DirecTV cusomters, other than perhaps DTV feels it's necessary before adding all the new locals markets.

It's delay really matters to few or no people.

Yawn!

Mark

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Of course they could have bought the launch from a US company, but noooo, they had to go overseas and buy from Russia to save a few bucks.

Reminds me of people buying projectors from Japan and then finding a dead pixel or so.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kelliot
Of course they could have bought the launch from a US company, but noooo, they had to go overseas and buy from Russia to save a few bucks.

Reminds me of people buying projectors from Japan and then finding a dead pixel or so.
DirecTV Satellite Launch Aborted, Rescheduled

Mon May 6, 1:27 PM ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Ground controllers in Kazakhstan aborted the launch of a new satellite for DirecTV minutes before take-off on Monday, and the satellite television broadcaster said it was initially unclear what had happened. DirecTV 5, the seventh orbital satellite for the El Segundo, California-based broadcaster, was set to launch from the Baikonur Cosmodrome at 1:00 p.m. EST, but less than three minutes before launch local ground control was heard on a live Webcast saying the mission had been aborted.

A DirecTV spokeswoman said they were watching the same Webcast and were not immediately sure why the launch had been aborted. DirecTV said last week the new satellite would allow it to expand the number of U.S. cities where it carries local channels.

The live Webcast was being operated by Virginia-based International Launch Services, the privately held company that was conducting the launch. An anchor on the ILS Webcast said only that the launch had been interrupted by ground control because the craft was not believed to be ready for launch.

He said it has been rescheduled for 1:00 p.m. EST on Tuesday.

DirecTV, a unit of Hughes Electronics Corp. , is the No. 1 satellite broadcaster in the U.S. It is in the process of being acquired by No. 2 broadcaster EchoStar Communications Corp.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kelliot

If doing it from Russia keeps them from charging me more then more power to them. i think its good to buy american to a point, but chances are they saved a lot more then a few dollars. I forgot the prices I was quoted previously on launching a bird, but if they even got a 10% discount then they saved at least a million.

·
Registered
87 Posts
International Launch Services runs launch sites at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida as well as Baikonur Cosmodrome, Kazakhstan. Echostar's satellites are also launched from both sites. The rocket which launched Echostar 7 from Florida had a Russian Proton engine. I don't know how they decide which components and which launch sites are used. Sputnik and Yuri Gagarin were both launched from Baikonur.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.