AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
What was the purpose of this launch? Will it add anything new at 119W?

It would be nice if Channel 543 could be moved there (I don't plan to add 110W capability until I see if the merger materializes).

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Most unlikely 543 will move to 119, if any thing moves it would proably be 509 and/or 199 to 110. DirecTV 5 wont add any capacity, DirecTV 6 will be an in-orbit spare for the fleet same as DirecTV 3. No "new" capacity will be added till DirecTV 7S is launched in mid 2003.

101 west

DirecTV 1R (high power) Core programming

DirecTV 2 Core programming

DirecTV 3 On-orbit spare ( main control processor failed/ back-up operational )

DirecTV 4S (spot beam) Local into locals

110 west

DirecTV 1 HD programming ( SHO-HD )

119 west

DirecTV 5 (TEMPO 1 ) Para Todos/special interest programming, HBO-HD, HDNet

DirecTV 6 (TEMPO 2 ) On-orbit spare ( solar panels not capable of100% of rated output )

DirecTV 7S (spot beam) Local into locals ( launches mid 2003 )

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Quote:
I don't plan to add 110W capability until I see if the merger materializes
Then you might have a long wait ahead of you. You can find sat c kits very cheap on Ebay. The purpose is beacuase the bird currently at 119 is damaged.

·
Registered
957 Posts
When DirecTV 5 becomes operational, the company will have 25 percent more capacity over the continental U.S. Now they won't use it all as the damaged satellite it replaces will be a in orbit spare.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
DirectTV 6 was/is making full use of the nine transponder licenses that directTV owns for 119 west. DirectTV 5 can not change capacity at all, capacity can only be increased by further mpeg-2 compression. When DirecTV 7S is operational the spot beams will allow redundant use of the transponder frequencies on a regional basis as has been done at 101 west on DirecTV 4S, for local into local programming.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.