AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I currently have older (circa early 2000) RCA satellite receivers (2), and subscribe to Directv.

I am contemplating putting a plasma (Panasonic TH-42PD25) in my upstairs master bedroom. The receiver that feeds the master bedroom is in my basement, with my projection TV. The coax from the basement to the bedroom is RG6.

My concern is that I will have a poor picture on the plasma via the RG6 from the receiver in the basement. Moving the receiver to the bedroom is not really an option, as it would impact my viewing on the projection in the basement.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Comments are welcome. Thanks.

· Registered
3,351 Posts
So both must watch the same channel, is that how you have it wired?

As long as your total run is not over 100 feet, all the cable is decent quality RG6, and you have no bad connections, inculding your splitter, it should be fine.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi CCarncross -

Yes, the master BR and the projection in the basement are on the same receiver, and must watch the same channel.

I would GUESS that the run is

· Registered
3,433 Posts
Quote:
1. It is RG6, and I have heard that is the worst connection type.
RG6 is just a cable and can carry many different type signals. You are talking about the RF output of your DirecTV reciever. That is the lowest quality output of the ones available to you.

Quote:
2. I have read some comments on boards that lead me to believe that Directv picture quality is less than desirable on plasma, even with S-Video and Composite connections, let alone coax.
The quality of D* SD picture is usually related to the picture size. Watch it on any TV larger than 36" and you will likely see compression artifacts. Calibrating your TV will lessen the artifacts but won't eliminate them.

I'm in the process of moving my D* receivers, DVD, etc. from the living room to the theater room. I'm currently using RG-6 for composite video and analog audio back to the living room TV. The picture is exactly the same as when the receiver was in the same room as the TV. As soon as I get some time, I'll be running 10 more cables for component video and analog audio. All of this using RG-6 cables over a 50ft. run.

-Robert

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.