Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is an interesting little snippet from Cable World Magazine:

DirecTV Mulls HD Package

DirecTV may create a for-pay hi-def package, but no decisions have been made yet, a company spokesman said. Meanwhile, a programming executive who declined to speak for attribution confirmed that DirecTV has put together a package that includes HDNet, HDNet Movies, Discovery HD Theater and ESPN HD; it would cost $10 a month. The executive, who's involved in the deal, also said EchoStar is looking into a similar offering. An EchoStar spokesman declined to comment.

April 28, 2003

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
You know I heard a good one the other day from a Sr official at DirecTV last week.

This person pointed out that they find it funny to be reading the internet and seeing these new packages which they are supposed to be offering, when in reality this is the first they heard of these packages and they are the ones who put the packages together.

My advice is to sit and wait.

Some things are coming, this I know is true.

However it will be late Summer/Early fall before we see anything for eaither company.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Scott,

I agree that it will probably be later this summer before we see a real HDTV package from Directv. But I think we will see ESPNHD a little sooner atleast I hops so anyways.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Hmmmmm.... Late Summer, early Fall. That seems to fall directly into football season quite well. I'm ready when they are :)

Bobby C

·
Registered
451 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Greczkowski
You know I heard a good one the other day from a Sr official at DirecTV last week.

This person pointed out that they find it funny to be reading the internet and seeing these new packages which they are supposed to be offering, when in reality this is the first they heard of these packages and they are the ones who put the packages together.

My advice is to sit and wait.

Some things are coming, this I know is true.

However it will be late Summer/Early fall before we see anything for eaither company.
Scott - What do you think all of these D* phone calls about Satellite C are about?? I haven't received one but it seems like they are talking about something imminent. I am very interested in your thoughts.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Greczkowski
This must be your pure speculation, right? It could just as easily be early summer, late fall, or mid-winter for all you know, right? Or do you have some solid (or even loose) foundation for this statement?

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mulesqb
Scott - What do you think all of these D* phone calls about Satellite C are about?? I haven't received one but it seems like they are talking about something imminent. I am very interested in your thoughts.
Both companies know that HDTV is the future and that they need to "get on the ball" with HDTV.

Both Companies have new HD recievers coming out later this year, they need programming to showcase them.

Dish has the upper hand on how much transponder space they have available while DirecTV has limited space and must scatter thier HD signals around on different satellites. In order for DirecTV HD owners to see many of the new channels they will need a C Kit so they can see all 3 satellites. DirecTV is planing for the future now and is trying to get C kits to everyone who needs one.

Dish on the other hand has some oportunities coming up and are now trying to figure out where to stick HD, there has been talk of putting all new HD channels on the 110 location, while there has also been talk of putting all HD on the new 121 KA Band location (which will require a new dish) I personally hope the HD goes to 110 so that anyone widh a Dish 500 antenna can get HD signals.

I have been in talks with both companies and both are working hard to get fair HD deals for their customers. Again from my talks with both companies I would expect some major news from BOTH companies later this summer or in the Early fall.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
forgive me as i do not have dish, but dont you need three orbital slots for dish also??

this seems to me to "scatter thier HD signals around on different satellites"

in fact isnt one of the birds no where near the other two, thus requiring the need for two seperate dishes, rather than an all inclusive dish?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by nakedeye
forgive me as i do not have dish, but dont you need three orbital slots for dish also??
Currently, yes. However word is that all new HD channels will be going to 110/119. It's possible they will move the existing channels over to make the barrier for entry lower, since not everyone has the luxury of being able to mount two dishes (let alone have line of sight for the second). I actually would rather them leave HBO and SHO on 61.5/148 if they would do East/West feeds.

·
Registered
924 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
wake me when this nightmare is over!

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by nakedeye

this seems to me to "scatter thier HD signals around on different satellites"

in fact isnt one of the birds no where near the other two, thus requiring the need for two seperate dishes, rather than an all inclusive dish?
The difference is that Dish has all of their HD channels on one satellite. Right now it would be one of either of the two wing satellites. The new options mentioned for Dish are to have all (or most) of the HD on the 110 satellites so that current Dish500 customers would only need to swap out their STB to start to get HD (no new Sat Dish on Roof). Or if all of the HD gets moved to the new 121 satellite. In this case everyone (new and existing Dish HD customers) would need to either get a new dish to point towards 121 or reaim an existing one.

But Direct TV would always need you to see all 3 satellites to get their HD lineup.

At the end of the day I see your point. If you are a Dish HD customer and want the regular AT150 channels & all your locals you'll also have to see at least 3 satellites.

On another note: As far as D* calling everyone for C kits, they are likely just not waiting until the last minute to get this deployed. If they are planning to get new HD launched this at the end of summer, then its best to get the kits out as soon as possible to avoid the rush when new HD is announced.

The good news from this is that we now know that a decision on HD has been made and that they going forward with implementation. There is a plan. I just wonder who is going to break the news on it.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
I will wait. We get ABC in Sept here in NJ and then a better lineup of HD on Directv not to mention cinemax HD.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
well your sort of correct. the cbs east and west are on two different birds correct?

my point is that d* has all three birds right in a row basicly enshuring that if you can get one, youll prolly be able to get the others. this may not be the case with dish. you have very different orbital slots.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RAVEN56706
I will wait. We get ABC in Sept here in NJ and then a better lineup of HD on Directv not to mention cinemax HD.
Cinemax HD???

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Hope this isn't too off the wall, but does anybody have an idea of how many people are involved in these negotiations, particularly on DirecTV's side?? Is it 1 Programming Head (Title: DirecTV Chief of Sports Programming??) and his/her Financial Aide for a total of 2 people or rather is it a good sized unit of perhaps 5 or 6 or even more?? If it's the latter then perhaps we can hope to see some leaked itty-bitty info. as summer progresses. Otherwise with just 2 or 3 involved who are close-mouthed, we may not hear even one word until the day of the signing. Oh me in that case!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.