Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

Sorry if this has been covered somewhere before, but I am on information overload ... :confused:

After waiting 3 years, my wife has finally come around and realizes we need a new TV and has given me the green light. :) My primary reason for watching TV is sports- football and hockey. Toss in some movies on DVD and kids programming. The extent of my video gaming is Atari 8-bit!

So I am looking to buy the Samsung HLR5067W DLP. It seems to have the best middle ground of price/performance/size/features that I need, more or less.

However, as mentioned I don't use cable, rather DirecTV (go Sunday Ticket!). Unfortunately the chances are 50/50 that I may not be able to receive HD programming via DirecTV. (I don't know this for a fact yet, but the HD satellite may be obstructed). So the big question is, if I use I don't [can't] upgrade my DTV signal to hi-def, will I still see an imroved picture quality (or at least good PQ)? I would assume yes, but a co-worker who has just bought an EDTV plasma TV warned me that the picture may look crappy/distorted if you don't have an upgraded HD signal.

Any insight greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Glenn

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a Mits 55" RPTV that is a few years old, and I am a Directv subscriber. I used to have two set top boxes, a Mits Directv HD box and a Directv/Tivo box. I would only use the HD box for live HD sports, since I was hooked on Tivo. I have since gotten the HDDVR, and I get great PQ on both the HD channels and the SD channels, better than I got with the other boxes. At $499, its no great bargain but it beats $999. And you can't beat HDDVR.

Since you live in Pittsburgh, you are likely to get local HD channels over the air once the next Directv satellite launches. That will be close to the same angle in the sky as the standard def signals. Until Directv puts all of their HD signals there, you may have a problem if you can't see the 119 degree satellite.

I would say, buy the killer TV, buy a Directv HDDVR at the same time (and negotiate an added discount by buying both at the same time), and go for it.

·
Registered
15,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spudly
So the big question is, if I use I don't [can't] upgrade my DTV signal to hi-def, will I still see an imroved picture quality (or at least good PQ)? I would assume yes, but a co-worker who has just bought an EDTV plasma TV warned me that the picture may look crappy/distorted if you don't have an upgraded HD signal.
Glenn, SDTV will look worse on any large HDTV than on your smaller analog TV. You're just blowing up a poor signal onto a large screen that shows every detail. Hopefully you will be able to get HD. It won't look distorted unless you stetch the PQ to remove the black bars on the sides (SD is 4:3, whereas HD is 16:9, as is your DLP). I prefer watching with the black bars rather than stretching it to fit the 16:9 display.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
the PQ on your sammy dlp from direct tv in SD 480i should be just fine.

the hr10-250 hd dvr is going for $299 right now and a $100 mail in rebate you can't go wrong at that price. AND they will install it with a new phase 3 dish to give you all 3 directv sats. (some of the hd comes on the standard 101 sat a also they do not have just a HD sat) if your paying for sunday tickect you really want to get the football games in HD they look great. and they will add a local ota antennea for $50 more also, so you can get your local ota in HD and that is usually much more content than dtv has right now.

hd content on dtv is still lacking overall. but go ahead you will love it and they will be adding HD locals and more national hd in the next couple years.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by dssturbo1
the PQ on your sammy dlp from direct tv in SD 480i should be just fine.

the hr10-250 hd dvr is going for $299 right now and a $100 mail in rebate you can't go wrong at that price. AND they will install it with a new phase 3 dish to give you all 3 directv sats. (some of the hd comes on the standard 101 sat a also they do not have just a HD sat) if your paying for sunday tickect you really want to get the football games in HD they look great. and they will add a local ota antennea for $50 more also, so you can get your local ota in HD and that is usually much more content than dtv has right now.

hd content on dtv is still lacking overall. but go ahead you will love it and they will be adding HD locals and more national hd in the next couple years.
Thanks Everyone.

Getting the DirecTV HD DVR is my intention, I've had DirecTivo for the past four years and it's indispensible. I'm just nervous that during the DirecTV upgrade, I wont be able to hit the proper satellites for HD due to blockage. [This was a problem when locals first game to DTV and it wasn't on the 101 satellite and I needed the oval dish]

Out of curiosity, if DTV adds an OTA antennea for local HD will the DVR still be able to record that? (My current DirecTivo will obviously record only DirecTV signal, not anything else).

Thanks!

Glenn

·
Registered
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spudly
Out of curiosity, if DTV adds an OTA antennea for local HD will the DVR still be able to record that? (My current DirecTivo will obviously record only DirecTV signal, not anything else).

Thanks!

Glenn
Yes, the HD Tivo thru DTV will record your OTA signals....

I have this setup (HD Tivo + HD package (comes over sat) + HD Off air antenna) and the stuff is great. I am on the border of IL and WI, so I can get both local stations (Milwaukee & Chicago) in HD. Sweet deal.

I am thinking of going Samsung HL-R6167W - you are happy with your Samsung?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.