AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weird question maybe.

I got my new toshiba 52HMX84 yesterday and also had Directv come by to upgrade me to the HD service. Well when we tried to setup the dish, we found that the building behind me blocked the two HD sats and that I couldn't get a HD signal. Now the regular digital signal is just fine since the building is just right at the edge of that signal bearing. The SD is not too bad on the HD TV but I am looking for any kind of improvement. So I will pretty much be stuck going to an OTA antenna for local channel HD service.

Now my question is this and the tech said it could make a difference. Will buying a Samsung DirectV HD receiver from a local store have any bearing on improving my SD digital signal from Directv. I have a standard Hughes 2 year old box and was wondering if upgrading to a DirectV capable HD receiver if my regular digital signal would be improved at all because of the newer technology in the receiver.

Seems like a waste of money if I can't get the HD signal from DirectV because of signal blockage, but I would like to improve the existing digital signal any way I can. I figure that the newer boxes must somehow improve the signal.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

· Registered
7,918 Posts
Will buying a Samsung DirectV HD receiver from a local store have any bearing on improving my SD digital signal from Directv.

Doubt it...

· Registered
87 Posts
Unless there is something wrong with your current box getting a new one won't help much. What you can do is run your SD signal to the TV through composite or S-video cables instead of coax. That will at least clean things up a little. I've found you can fiddle with the TV video settings and help things too. Adjust things like brightness, contrast, and sharpness to soften up the picture. If you don't you'll see much more digitization, stairstepping.

· Registered
2,276 Posts
keep trying to locate a spot on your property to place the dish, so it can see the two other sats. If you look hard e'nuff you will porbably find one. keep in mind DirecTV only tested from one or two locations, you can test from several. put it on a poll or in a tree if you must.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would like to find another location but the building is 15 stories high and I would have to move the dish 15-20 feet to the left to get a clear view and that would put me in the nieghbors yard.

So looks like I am stuck unless the newer HD sats that they launch next year will somehow help me out by being more south in direction

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.