AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed a BenQ HT2050 projector to use in the basement and have been having some issues with DirecTV. I have an HDMI cable going from the projector in an HDMI switch (Goronya 3 Port HDMI Switch) which then gets an input HDMI cable from the DirecTV box. From time to time the screen goes blank and I get a message "source searching" and then "input found" at which point the picture comes back. I'm wondering if this is an HDMI switch issue and whether putting in a receiver will fix this issue?

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
I recently installed a BenQ HT2050 projector to use in the basement and have been having some issues with DirecTV. I have an HDMI cable going from the projector in an HDMI switch (Goronya 3 Port HDMI Switch) which then gets an input HDMI cable from the DirecTV box. From time to time the screen goes blank and I get a message "source searching" and then "input found" at which point the picture comes back. I'm wondering if this is an HDMI switch issue and whether putting in a receiver will fix this issue?
When HDMI connections have too many errors they often just completely fail as you describe. This failure is likely either a result of too long length, the switch, or both. A receiver may help assuming you are not using an overly long (greater than 25ft per any one HDMI cable) run, in which case you might want to opt for fiber optic HDMI in addition to a receiver.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When HDMI connections have too many errors they often just completely fail as you describe. This failure is likely either a result of too long length, the switch, or both. A receiver may help assuming you are not using an overly long (greater than 25ft per any one HDMI cable) run, in which case you might want to opt for fiber optic HDMI in addition to a receiver.
Ruined, thanks for the quick response, the HDMI cable is about 30 feet, would replacing that with two 15 ft cables help? If so, any recommendations on what I should use to couple the wires together?

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
Yup. That'd be my guess too. Past 25', then HDMI cables can be...inconsistent. Especially true for 4K signals. Sometimes the problem can be easily remedied with just swapping the cable out with a different model, and Active cables can certainly help too. That said, I've had the most consistently solid results by just doing HDMI via Cat5e/6 (HDBaseT).

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
Ruined, thanks for the quick response, the HDMI cable is about 30 feet, would replacing that with two 15 ft cables help? If so, any recommendations on what I should use to couple the wires together?
No coupling two passive 15ft cables with a passive connection will be even worse than a single passive 30ft cable.

If you need a single run that long many had success with the RUIPRO fiber optic cables on Amazon.

Keep in mind these are very expensive but may solve your problem. Then again, the switch may be some or all of the problem, also. No way to tell without experimenting.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
I'm wondering if this is an HDMI switch issue and whether putting in a receiver will fix this issue?
It is either the switch or the HDMI cables. I had this problem with my Benq W1070 running DirecTV thru my Harmon Kardon receiver. So a receiver is not guaranteed to produce a stronger signal than a switch. The Monoprice switch I now use also splits out the audio to send to my AVR via optical spdif. I haven't had the "searching for source" problem since.

A switch has an advantage over a receiver in that I never turn the switch or the DirecTV off, so it doesn't have HDMI handshake issues the way the AVR would with turning on and off all the time.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is either the switch or the HDMI cables. I had this problem with my Benq W1070 running DirecTV thru my Harmon Kardon receiver. So a receiver is not guaranteed to produce a stronger signal than a switch. The Monoprice switch I now use also splits out the audio to send to my AVR via optical spdif. I haven't had the "searching for source" problem since.

A switch has an advantage over a receiver in that I never turn the switch or the DirecTV off, so it doesn't have HDMI handshake issues the way the AVR would with turning on and off all the time.
Thanks Dreamer! Do you happend to have the model # for that switch from monoprice handy?

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Thanks Dreamer! Do you happend to have the model # for that switch from monoprice handy?
It is a HDX401TA, but I don't see it on the Monoprice website anymore. Everything seems to be 4k switches now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts