Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, have a problem.

A local satellite company just installed a Oval sat kit in my apartment building. It is a high-rise condo.

Problem:

I get all channels fine except HDTV channels do not come in.

I also have a RCN Cable modem, they are multiplexing the signal in the wiring closet for the cable modem + Directv.

When I go into setup, I have oval 2satelite selected. All the directv channels show up in the guide. 400 shows a spanish title, but audio is in english.

both satellites read in the 90's for signal. On 119 I get over 80 for every transponder except for 28. The guy at directv said that the 119 was pointing to the wrong satellite???

Anway, I think everything is setup fine. I can display normal HD output on my HDTV. I get fox OTA (no cbs).

Anyone have any ideas? Is putting the directv + cable modem together possible in my situation?

Thanks,

mlr

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Do you have an DirecTV HDTV STB? If so, maybe you need to call DirecTV and ask them to add your HDTV channels.

Steve

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mlrtime
400 shows a spanish title, but audio is in english.

both satellites read in the 90's for signal. On 119 I get over 80 for every transponder except for 28. The guy at directv said that the 119 was pointing to the wrong satellite???
These are all indications of receiving only the 101 satellite. Is the 22KHz switch that selects either satellite wired correctly?

"I also have a RCN Cable modem, they are multiplexing the signal in the wiring closet for the cable modem + Directv"

You might want to bypass this arrangement until you get things working first.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the DTC100 and have HD Output enabled, so I know i am received output from the VGA connector.

BB: In the signal strength menu, it shows sat 119 is getting above 80 strength on all transponders (except for transponder 28 which is getting ~40)

I don't have access to their switches so I have to wait for them to come out anc check. I am the first one in the building to get wired so I am the test bed for the whole operation.

Thanks for the help!

mlr

·
Registered
122 Posts
Quote:

mlr
Only TPs 21 (or 22?)-32 on 119 are active. If your receiver receives signals from TPs 1-20 then you're pointing at 101.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On TP 101 all are active

On TP 119 22-32 are active (I mean 22-32 for every)

and I get a good signal on 22-32 except 28.

I just removed the diplexer for the cablemodem and I am still not getting any HDTV output. I called directv again and they verified that I did have access to these channels.

The satellite guy is going to check out the dish again. Any other ideas?

Thanks again for all the help.

mlr

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The test the tech support gave was to turn to channel 400. if it is english then you are not receiving 119...

So if I turn to 376 (Nasa) and it isn't nasa, then I'm not getting 119 either?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
So if I turn to 376 (Nasa) and it isn't nasa, then I'm not getting 119 either?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are correct.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Quote:
In the signal strength menu, it shows sat 119 is getting above 80 strength on all transponders (except for transponder 28 which is getting ~40)
The low signal strength on transponder 28 is also an indication of reception of the 101 satellite. I believe transponder 28 is a spot beam on 101. You are apparently located on the fringes of this spot beam and therefore get a low reading. Transponder 28 from the 119 satellite should be similar in strength to the other transponders.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
UPDATE: WOOHOO! :p

I have HDNET and HBOHD WORKING!

AND

I have my analog cable + cablemodem diplexed through the same cable with HDTV.

Everything is working great. The problem ending up being bad wiring on the multiswitch for the LNB's.

Only problem is now: They only installed 2 LNBs on the Oval dish so no Showtime for me :(

However, I gave them a ring and waiting to hear back about the 3rd LNB.

Glad to join the HDTV club, Frampton looks GREAT!

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Quote:

I also have a RCN Cable modem, they are multiplexing the signal in the wiring closet for the cable modem + Directv.
Hi mirtime,

Are you saying the DBS installer for the apartment building used the existing cabling for RCN already installed?

Seems like an ideal method of avoiding costly cable installation throughout builldings just for DBS. You'd think there would be legal and contract problems, though.

If this technique (diplexing DBS signals into existing cable TV lines) is typical in NYC and elsewhere, perhaps I'll propose it for our building. Hate missing all those HDNet goodies. -- John

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, they ran their own coax from the roof where the sats are at, down to the basement (I think) And then from there, they are going to the wiring closets on each floor.

But from the wiring closets, they are using the existing cables to each individual apartment. Unfortunately the apartment building was cheap and only ran 1 coax to each apartment. There is a 2-way splitter in the living room that runs to the bedroom.

Everything seems to work fine regular cable, cable modem, directv + hdtv off of the single cable.

Only 2 problems.

I don't know what type of multi-switches they are using, but they said they can't get one for a SAT-C setup to distribute throughout the building. So, I only have HBO and HDNET. They said it will come in about a month.

Also, I would like to split the diplexed signal to the bedroom so I can have directv in there too, should be possible.

And, they are going to add a OTA antenna on the roof, but I doubt I can diplex that as well as the cable modem.

-J

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.