AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For 18 months DirecTV has failed to implement DD5.1 properly eventhough they have the correct equipment. But that is not what I'm on the soap box about. What I'm complaining about is that in the past 6 weeks on several occassions DirecTV has failed to transmit any sound at all on their PPV movies after 2 AM EST. Nothing! Nada! No DD5.1, no DD2.0 no mpeg audio either. It's dead silent on all audio channels.

I have purposefully not posted any comments on this until now just to see if anyone else noticed this. Nobody has so I can just assume that either this has just affected my location and only on the PPV ch199 movies but not HDNET audio, or, nobody watches the PPV movies anymore on Ch199. My money is on the latter.

I suspect that now no one gives a R's A because the company is being sold off. Any opinions?

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Well Don, I've only had access to 199 for a few weeks and havent ever really tried to watch an PPV on it..only HDNet. But as it so happens, when I got up this morning I was still tuned to 199 and a showing of Sugar and Spice was just about to start.

For some reason, without even trying to order it, the video was coming through fine for an extended period at the beginning of the show. But no matter what I tried could I get the audio to come in with it. So obviously they're having some issues there, yeah. Probably the same type issue that is currently allowing me to get 509 just fine also, even though I dont sub to HBO ;).

·
Registered
409 Posts
Yeap I noticed this last night and yesterday morning the PPV was free i saw Blow but no audio, And the Rock & Roll concert last night I had to crank up the receiver to 68 to listen to it..

So you are not alone.

P.S. I hope I don't get a suprise when my bill of DTV arrives..

I will be [email protected]#$$%^&* Off.:(

·
Registered
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DP1
Well Don, I've only had access to 199 for a few weeks and havent ever really tried to watch an PPV on it..only HDNet. But as it so happens, when I got up this morning I was still tuned to 199 and a showing of Sugar and Spice was just about to start.

For some reason, without even trying to order it, the video was coming through fine for an extended period at the beginning of the show. But no matter what I tried could I get the audio to come in with it. So obviously they're having some issues there, yeah. Probably the same type issue that is currently allowing me to get 509 just fine also, even though I dont sub to HBO ;).
We were able to see Sugar and Spice the other night as well. On my DTC100, the "Press info for ordering information" would appear for about 10 minutes upon tuning to the channel and would go away. If we did hit info, we were presented with various information about an ESPN2 program. I suspect that the program was tagged ppv (thus the "press info..." and pricing information), but since the program data indicated that it was froma channel that we get (ESPN2), it was ok to watch it. That's just speculation, of course.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Don, I, for one, have stopped buying HD PPV movies. Basically for two reasons: no 5.1 audio and start times are too late. I'm satisfied with rental DVDs.

·
Premium Member
12,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bob- I have been in conversation with Mark Cuban's technical staff on the audio problems with channel 199. They are well aware of the situation, but mostly as it pertains to HDnet's audio.

What I was told-

HDNet is fully capable of delivering DD5.1. DirecTV is also equipemnt ready for DD5.1 but fails to implement it on ch199. This is from Dolby, my personal contact in Castle Rock, as well as HDNet engineer.

HDNet sends direct feed to DTV and it is downgraded to DD2.0. But, when they send them a tape for the loops to run when not live casting the audio should be DD5.1 and DD2.0 but what airs is DD3.0 with a center rear surround flagged that messes up the stereo and results in mono sound output. Only on live feeds from HDNet is the DD2.0 done properly. This is because DTV personal don't mess it up and just allow it to pass on through.

I feel that with the uncertain future at DirecTV the situation will just get worse as time passes as the morale is dwindling there with many jobs in question. I'm afraid that by the time Charlie gets possession of DTV it will trashed like a tennant being evicted over a 6 month time frame.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Don,

Thanks for the background. I had wondered why all 5 lights on my decoder don't light up for channel 199 programming.

One other thing that I've written to HDNet about is "Why are the audio levels for channel 199 so much lower than for the other DirecTV channels".

Got a reply back .... "we'll look into it".

The DD 5.1 would be nice to have but the vast difference in output level is a pain when you switch between channels frequently.

Bob

·
Premium Member
12,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Savageone79
Not sure I believe that. Mark himself said that they can't do dd5.1 right now but are working on getting it soon. It think it's on their end not directv's
What Mark said is true (as far as HDNET dd5.1 to your home) but your conclusion of where the problem is at is incorrect. Mark put me in touch with his chief engineer for a more detailed explanation. Coming from his engineer, the HDNet trucks are fully DD5.1 capable but when it hits direcTV there is a problem with the way they use the encoder for the uplink to us. As I understand it there are actually three programming scenarios that further complicate the solution now. Live feed from HDNet, tape playback from HDNet sources and Tape playback from direcTV PPV sources. I think there was also a bandwidth issue for the HDNet trucks' live feed via internet that was supposed to be corrected back in late September that may also be a source of your confusion( I think that was what Mark said some time ago.) Just keep in mind that the audio problems are not HDNet specific and affect all programming on channel 199 and have been with us since June of year 2000, long before HDNet was a figment of Mark's dreams. From another source, I have learned that all direcTV's equipment is DD5.1 capable, including their D5 playback equipment which has been modified for AC-3 compatibility, but once again, the way the encoder is currently programmed is preventing them form delivering the AC-3 to us on channel 199.

So, you can believe what you want, but I will go by what I see in the delivered signal and what HDNet, Dolby and direcTV people tell me. All fingers point to LABC of direcTV and those in charge of setting up the Dolby equipment at that location.

I have been in conversation with 3 dolby engineers on the subject-

One claimed direcTV was sending out true DD5.1 signal on ch199 but it was in the form of 2/1 the same exact signal as being sent by the HBO ch509 feed. I never did understand that as it is definitely different and this was confirmed by my own contact at CRBC. Another dolby engineer said that they tried to work with DirecTV but the engineers at LABC were not cooperative and a third discussion with dolby said that they have finally gotten through to the people there and were trying to work with them to get the problem resolved. This was in September when I last communicated with HDNet and Dolby on the issue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.