AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok. yet another DISH vs DirecTV thread. i know there are 1 zillion posts here already, but i'm finally jumping into the fray & want to justify my purchase:

CURRENTLY:

===========

- i have never had any type of satellite service

- i have a 100 inch FPTV system - so image quality very important to me.

- i have a DTC100 i use w/ UHF antenna for OTA HDTV - i get every single DTV channel in my area

- i have AT&T broadband for digital cable & internet AND will keep using it for BOTH those services, since the image quality is great (digital cable HBO approaches DVD and DTV on good movie prints - and it has digital audio as well)

NEW:

====

i want to add ONLY HDTV movies (commercial free) - I WILL KEEP MY BROADBAND CABLE SYSTEM

DirecTV:

=======

PLUS:

- already have RCA DTC100

- $49 blockbuster deal will give me : oval dish, installation AND a second receiver

- if DirecTV quality turns out to be BETTER than digital cable, i can get dual tuner Tivo/UltimateTv in future,and record PLUS record/watch 2 channels at same time

MINUS:

no showtime

DISH:

=====

PLUS:

- Showtime

- ???

MINUS:

- 2 goofy dishes needed for HDTV

- no $49 complete HD install package available???

- ???

·
Registered
830 Posts
Some comments:

Since you only want satellite HDTV (keeping your digital cable), you don't need two dishes for Dish Network, just a single one pointed at 61.5.

Quality of HDTV programming on Dish and DirectTV is identical.

Dish has 24 hour PPV, DirectTV only has PPV after midnight.

Showtime has lots of great HD programming. If you are a sci-fi fan, Stargate SG1 is excellent.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My advice "bossmonkey" would be to go for the 4dtv for hdtv .You would get 2 channels of HBO and 2 channels of showtime in high -def as well as some channels of STARZ/ENCORE in dolby 5.1 in 480i.4dtv is the only place to get 8 channels of cinemax.This is going to become 12 channels later this year as cinemax is introducing more channels to stay competitive with showtime.You can forget about directv adding these many channels.

regards,

satphile

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
You can order only HBO with DirecTV and you get the HBO channels including the HDTV channel (509 I think) FOR ONLY $12.00 PER MONTH.

Since you already have cable, you may not need the rest of the DirecTV offerings.

Of course, Dish currently offers Showtime HDTV which DirecTV does not, so that is the tradeoff.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by satphile:
My advice "bossmonkey" would be to go for the 4dtv for hdtv .You would get 2 channels of HBO and 2 channels of showtime in high -def as well as some channels of STARZ/ENCORE in dolby 5.1 in 480i.4dtv is the only place to get 8 channels of cinemax.This is going to become 12 channels later this year as cinemax is introducing more channels to stay competitive with showtime.You can forget about directv adding these many channels.

regards,

satphile
I own a 4DTV system and agree it is a great way to go but I think "bossmonkey" is only interested in a small dish system--not a C band setup.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
First I owned Directv, but there promises of more HD just seemed to shallow for me. I needed something bigger so I switched to Dish, and I've been happy ever since. Granted I don't know if Dish will ever introduce more programming either, but for the time being at least I get showtime as well which is a big plus over directv. So you have to get 2 stupid dishes on your roof. No big deal. If your not doing it yourself its not that bad. If you buy Dishnetwork from Dish I believe they offer free installation with the package. I'm not sure though.

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP!!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.