AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Try Robert's Satellite at (510) 247-9249. Someone else recommended him to me via this forum. He installed my Mits HD500, Wineguard Yagi, ran extra lines for two more receivers, and fine tuned the OTA signal. He's very good, although he is also very expensive. He did the install about 3 weeks ago for me, and I'm very happy with the results.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I can also recommend him highly. He installed 2 DTC-100's, Directv, and an OTA antenna last year, and I have had no problems what so ever since then. He is also very knowledgable about the AV equipment he is hooking into to.

His number is 510-247-9249.

-rick

·
Registered
730 Posts
You might want to just do it yourself. I've seen you talking about your terrestrial antenna, so you are no rookie. And by my experience, it was *much* easier to install my 2 dish Echostar system than it has been to get my terrestrial antenna working properly. (I'm still not done with that one.) The 2 dish E* system only took a few hours and has been trouble-free since installation. The only slightly tricky part is finding the satellites and that isn't even difficult if you have the receiver & a TV near the dish.

The terrestial antenna: big yagi, a rotor, chimney mount, guy wires, a preamp . . . whoah! That is quite a job.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm considering whether to have an installer for the dish or do it myself. I may have the installer and just watch so that I can do it myself the next time.

I have installed probably 10 antenna systems in the last 40 years, and this one has been the worst for getting it to work. It does however seem to be working since I added the CM7775 (replacing old preamp) and moved the antenna to a more favorable spot WRT the trees.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rlsmith:
I'm considering whether to have an installer for the dish or do it myself. I may have the installer and just watch so that I can do it myself the next time.

I have installed probably 10 antenna systems in the last 40 years, and this one has been the worst for getting it to work. It does however seem to be working since I added the CM7775 (replacing old preamp) and moved the antenna to a more favorable spot WRT the trees.
Trust me, installing a DBS system is *much* easier than getting a terrestrial HDTV antenna up and working. Those 18" dishes are not very directional, so it is not very hard to find and tune in satellites. I did it with that plastic cracker-jack compass they provide & the ZIP code based coordinates.

I installed my CM Spartan 3 preamp and I'm getting most of the Bay area stations pretty well. KTVU-DT is still a problem for me though . . . do you get them well? I'm now sick & tired of tweaking that terrestrial antenna. I have spent an order of magnitude more time on the terrestrial HDTV antenna than on the 2 dish DBS system.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.