AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old Hughes HTL-HD early 2004 model. It is connected to one of the original Dual LND dishes from 1994. I have just taken the HD package for the first time and I need a newer dish in order to get the sats at 110 degrees and 119 degrees. Can I use one of the new 5 LNB Slimline dishes or will I have to use the older 3 LNB dish that I believe was used when the HTL-HD came out in 2004? I know I don't need the 5 LNB for this unit, as it does not do MPEG4, but as long as I am upgrading the dish I would like to use the new one in case I should want to upgrade to the H20 receiver at some point.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by longrider /forum/post/0

The AT-9 or AU-9 will work fine with your HTL-HD

Could you tell me what the difference is in the AT-9 and the Au-9?

Also, Do you know if when the new sats are launched by DirecTv this year will these dishes work for the new channels on them, or will DTV have to design a new dish making these obsolete as well?

·
Registered
327 Posts
AT-9 is the first 5LNB dish, AU-9 is the new Slimline which is replacing it. The AU-9 while not really much smaller is more aesthetically pleasing. I have seen posts saying that the inventory of AT-9s is being depleted fairly quickly so you will probably get the AU-9

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just ordered one of the new AU9 Slimline dishes for my HTL-HD? I saw somewhere from another vendor that was selling these dishes that a 6 X 8 Wideband KA/KU switch is required but not included with the AU9 when you buy one. Do I need to order one of these switches? Is this only required if you want to recieve locals using the H20 which I don't?

·
Registered
327 Posts
You would have to call them and ask. SolidSignal.com lists both dishes last time I looked.

Quote:
I just ordered one of the new AU9 Slimline dishes for my HTL-HD? I saw somewhere from another vendor that was selling these dishes that a 6 X 8 Wideband KA/KU switch is required but not included with the AU9 when you buy one. Do I need to order one of these switches? Is this only required if you want to recieve locals using the H20 which I don't?

The multiswitch is only needed if you need more than 4 outputs from the dish.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes. Thanks for the replies Longrider! It looks like those 6 x 8 multiswitches are also used for combining OTA with Sat signals if you need that. I only need two receivers connected with one input to each so I won't need the switch. I have another question though. The two new sats that DirecTv is going to launch this summer. Some say they will be just for locals in some markets others say no that national programming will be on them. Do we know the Sat location these new birds will occupy, and will the new 5 LNB dishes pickup these Sats or will another new dish be required when they go online?

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
6x8s do not allow for OTA connection. In fact, the lower Ka band the 5LNB dish will access when the new satellites provide new HD programming conflict with OTA frequencies. Separate wiring for OTA is best.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.