AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a long time Directv subscriber and like the service. I recently was over at my inlaws and they have the Dish network. One feature I liked was their ability to download their area weather conditions and local events and a few other things. Nice convenient feature. I know we can get weather off the net etc., but there were more interactive abilities than mentioned.

Does anyone know if Directv has or will offer something like that?

Thanks,

Carl

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
A little too late Carl. DirecTV was partnered with a company called Wink for a few years that enabled interactive content on some of their receivers. Interactive Weather from the Weather Channel, ESPN Interactive, NBC Interactive, Barnes and Nobel Interactive and some of the Music Choice channels were interactive as well. Those were some of the dedicated interactive channels/services that were available in the 490 channel range. In addition to that quite a bit of regular channels had interactive features, ie custom sports scores/stock tickers etc

The iTV provider Dish uses, OpenTV was a competitor of Wink, but OpenTV purchased them a while back.

Generally, iTV is considered a disappointment. Yeah it’s a nice novelty feature, but a lot of people could careless. I could live with out all of the interactive applications Dish gives me. I find the Instant Weather to be anything but instant and it has crashed my 508 more times then I care to count. Only decent one was the Lottery application, but that was discontinued a while ago. I would rather have Dish put their money and bandwidth to better use then interactive channels that are flakey. The Zap2It application would be nice, but since it was added 2 years ago they never added anymore markets.

Here’s a recent tread related to the discontinuation of WINK service

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=346965

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the very detailed response. I feel little stupid as I usually notice this kind of stuff on my systems and I didn't and now it is gone. What a shame I didn't play with it.

Well, maybe next time if they replace it.

Thanks again,

Carl

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Don't feel stupid Carl :)

There is a good chance your receiver wasn't even WINK compatible. If you have an older receiver, a lower end receiver or a DirecTiVo, you wouldn’t have had interactive functions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.