AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Presently have the toshiba dst-3000 for my decoder. Would like to purchase a 18 x 24 elliptical dish for HBO-HD and HDnet. Any recommendations on where to purchase for the best deal?

Also, I have an older 18" dish with a RCA receiver from about 4 years ago. Can this receiver be used as a second receiver or will it not be compatible?

·
Registered
88 Posts
An option is to buy the pieces a la cart and just buy another 18 inch or larger (76cm dish is $50) dish and get a Channelmaster 6904 IFD switch $85 and Dual LNB about $49 from Stark
http://www.starkelectronic.com/cm6226.htm

All this can be had for less then the 24 inch dish. Having a separate dish is easier do tune and gets a better signal. I would recommend the larger dish for the 119 degree sat.

Use this site to get aiming info for the separate dishes and use the oval setting in the receiver as if you had the oval dish. http://www.dbsforums.com/azel.html

Pat

------------------

HDjunky

·
Registered
241 Posts
You can purchase a RCA DirecTV Plus system at Wal-Mart for $99 which includes the Oval Dish, Multiswitch, RCA 4440 Receiver and Hu Card. No contract required. Keep the Dish & Multiswitch and sell the Receiver and Hu Card if you don't need it. You could also sell your older equipment and H Card if you don't need it. The only "cheaper" way that you could get it is the $10 Blockbuster Deal if that's available in your area. But I think you have to sign a contract for that one! Good Luck! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

·
Registered
399 Posts
No contract with the Blockbuster deal. Just have to be a new D* customer, have them install it and must activate it for at least one month at $21.99 or above. You get a year's worth of free rentals and some other perks.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I signed up for the Blockbuster deal today. Can't wait until Sept 19th though! Could miss alot of HDnet by then...

·
Registered
395 Posts
I was interested in the blockbuster deal but I don't see anything in my local blockbuster stores promoting it. I'm wondering if its even available to me, but I don't see anything on the web site that describes exactly who is and isn't eligible geography-wise.

Anyone have any amplifying information? --Karl

·
Registered
212 Posts
MA/Karl,

I had a signup document from my local Blockbuster that had an 800# to call to see if you could get this service installed. You keyed in your zip code and receieved an automated response. I actually called this number and know it works. I turned the form in when I signed up. Perhaps someone else reading this has a copy????

Also there are full page newspaper ads being run for this deal. I know the ad states "Stop by your local Blockbuster or call 800 XXX-XXXX". Again, perhaps someone reading this has a copy of one of those ads. Good luck!

·
Registered
48 Posts
IMHO I prefer a Brick and Mortar so I can have a person to complain to when it doesn't work. Just me! I got my Sony Set up with the SAT HD100 and the Sony oval dish. I think I got a FAIR price at my local Tweeter!

·
Registered
395 Posts

I'm considering the Mitsubishi receiver as I *think* it might make it easier to keep using my stand-alone Tivo.

My challenge is that I want my dish installed by a good professional.

I'm still looking for a trustworthy place to buy my dish and installation. --Karl

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.