AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
This is too funny. I received 2 telemarketing calls in the last 2 days trying to get me to sign up. I had to ask for a supervisor to get across the info that I'm already a customer.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Oh,Hell Yeah.

I dropped At Home when they went belly up so here we go again!

Now what?

I guess Bell South since they are the carrier anyway in my area but according to the notice at sign on from D* they will have more info on the 17th.

What a pain.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Though no one would ever accuse phone companies of being overly competent, I signed up with PacBell back when they first started their service. After a few hiccups, they've been providing, I must admit, pretty consistent service with very rare outages. I've also gotten DirecTV DSL mailers in the last couple of days as well, but I've never really considered switching since I've been getting pretty good service. But, if anything ever does go wrong, you might as well burn some candles and sacrifice a small animal since it will do as good as calling.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
2.5 months on new Pacbell DSL service here. Total outages: 14-15 minutes over that time. Rated speed: 1.5, actual 1.2... Consistent performance as far as I can tell although busy sites will, of course, slow down.

If AOL is awake, they'll buy DirecTV DSL rather than let it be shut down.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I had never heard of DirectDSL. They're still pushign that "DirectWay" sat broadband. I'd prolly bite on that except that we FINALLY got cable modem service in out area.

·
Registered
221 Posts
What a pain! DirecTVDSL has been very reliable. It's funny that I just got a mailer from them with a $39.99/month for a year offer (even though I'm already a subscriber).

Stu... I still see the Internet over satellite commercials all the time. In fact, I think there's a DirecTV channel dedicated to just running that over and over.

Thanks... Ralph

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
DirecTV DSL is still being promoted on channel 201.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
DirectTV DSL was the reanimated corpse of Telocity, a company that used to offer great DSL service. I left Telocity when they got bought and decided to switch me over to Ameritech DSL. I switched to Sprint ION...which then died after a year of wonderful, screamingly fast service. Currently, I'm on AT&T Broadband, which has horrible service and is painfully slow for a cable modem, especially compared to the Roadrunner account at my Mom's.

SBC/Ameritech, and all the Baby Bells for that matter, seem to want to drive all the independent DSL providers out of business. They are doing a pretty good job of it so far.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Hey, I ( and a couple hundred other folks ) got layed off today here

at DirecTV Broadband.

I guess that clears up some time management issues -

- Last message from my former workplace -

(Name withheld)

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
i used them for a while in manhattan and they were terrible. my dsl speed was about 480k down and 50k up. their tech support and customer service were equally horrendous...they couldn't fix my line issues on several instances and failed to call me back when promised...it went on and on. i dumped them and went with earthlink cable which was a huge step up. no more periodic outages and much better all around speeds.

but what does this have to do with HDTV programming?

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by broadwayblue
but what does this have to do with HDTV programming?
Not much! BUT ! I'm not able to check AVS forum for the latest ........ without DSL. Not going to even attempt dial up.

Dave

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by broadwayblue
...but what does this have to do with HDTV programming?
Probably not much, but with the recent collapse of the merger, it may affect future HDTV plans from a financial point of view.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Williams
Currently, I'm on AT&T Broadband, which has horrible service and is painfully slow for a cable modem, especially compared to the Roadrunner account at my Mom's.
Never mind RoadRunner, if you live in an area served by Cablevision, don't hesitate to sign up for their Optimum Online service. Only one word for the speeds: AWESOME. Here is a typical speedtest: http://www.dslreports.com/speedtests...net/1039975679

·
Registered
220 Posts
Cool site to test your speed. My cable modem is off the chart.:D

·
Registered
830 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TAdams
Cool site to test your speed. My cable modem is off the chart.:D
If you want bragging rights, you can copy the URL of the results page and post it into a message. It's a cool way to show off your speeds.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.