AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought the dish network 6022 system, I'm still waiting for it to arrive. As you all probably know, this system only includes one dish, so I have to choose between pointing it at the satellite to get their normal programming lineup, or the satellite which has hbo-hd and showtime-hd. I was thinking that I could get the directv elliptical dish from blockbuster, then cancel directv after 1 month, as an alternative to purchasing another dish network dish. Then I will point one dish towards dish network's regular satellite, and the other at dish network's hd satellite. Will this work? If so, does it matter which dish is pointed where? Will I need any other equipment?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Yes, you can do it but if you have the 20" Dish 500 with the 6000, you might just be better off getting an 18" dish (either D* or E*) and a SW21 for the HDTV satellite. That is the simplest way to do it.

You can take the Para Todos dish from the BB deal and fit a 3rd LNB and the correct switching to make it work for both D* and E* but the cost of doing that might end up being more than you could pick up a used 18" dish and a SW21 on eBay.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For right now, i do not care about directv programming. I plan on cancelling the directv service after 1 month. I figure that the $10 blockbuster deal + $20 for the first month of directv is cheaper than buying an 18" dish and lnb separately. Am i incorrect? Are there other charges I will incur with the blockbuster deal? Does anyone have any advice on a cheaper place to purchase the 18" dish and lnb? But mainly, my question is will this work, or do I still need to purchase something else (a different lnb?) to make this work the way I am thinking?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After looking at some prices on ebay, I guess that will be the easier way to go. Before I place a bid, I want to be absolutely sure that I can use a directv dish with my dish network system. Can someone please verify this for me? Do I need to purchase anything else other than an 18" dish and an sw21 switch?

·
Registered
399 Posts
As long as your Dish 500 has the kind of LNB with the switch built in (which I would assume it does because you are watching 119 and 110 on it now), all you need is any kind of 18" dish and plain single or two output LNB and a SW21 to cascade with the Twin LNB's switch on your Dish 500.

It does not matter if the 18" dish is a Dish Network dish or a DirecTV dish. They are generic in this application.

Good luck with your system.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
mchurchm,

Just to put you at ease, I am using a Sony 18"dish to receive the 61.5 HD feed for my Dish 6000 STB. I also have the 500 dish for the regular programming but I did have two 18" dishes before the single Dish 500. One was an RCA and the other was a Hughes.

Lee

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
I'm getting 4 (110,110,119,148) satellites on two dishes. The only issue is that I have to make sure that my DirectTV STB or Dish STB is tuned to a 119 channel when watching the other.

------------------

Ken Elliott

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.