AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm upgrading to the Genie and had a question as I was given two options and wasn't sure which one is the better choice. I have 3 televisions in my house.

Option 1 - 1 Genie, 1 Genie Mini and keep old HD DVR Model HR24

or

Option 2 - 1 Genie and 2 Genie Mini.

If I did option 1, the Genie would go in the main room and the Old HD DVR would go in my theater room, so the larger box wouldn't be an issue.

What would you recommend?

·
Registered
29,106 Posts
Are the Genie's talking to each other over your wireless network? I think that's how my father's is set up.

The advantage of the Genie is if you recorded something on any DVR you'd be able to retrieve it in the home theater room and vice versa. If you have a separate H24 I don't think you can retrieve the recorded shows from that unit on the other boxes.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I would research a little more. I have two dvrs, the genie, and two minis. I can see all the dvred shows on all tvs. The dvrs give you another 4 tuners to record shows.

You cannot access the genie features from the dvrs though (to do list, series manager etc).

The dvrs also add to your overall capacity.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply. I did end up researching it more, and talked to a helpful directv rep. I concluded that it's best for me to keep my existing HR24 DVR with the Genie and a Genie mini for the extra television.

The main selling points for keeping the HR24 with the Genie:

- If the Genie were to go down, the HR24 would still work but the Genie Mini wouldn't

- I would still be able to access the Genie's DVR content from the HR24

- I have an extra DVR in the house at no additional cost or monthly fees

The Genie Mini sounded like it was only an extension of the main Genie receiver, but not an independent receiver which means various +/-'s. Also the Genie Mini is smaller in size, which wasn't important to me in this situation.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnd  /t/1524086/directv-equipment-question#post_24524659

Thanks for the reply. I did end up researching it more, and talked to a helpful directv rep. I concluded that it's best for me to keep my existing HR24 DVR with the Genie and a Genie mini for the extra television.

The main selling points for keeping the HR24 with the Genie:

- If the Genie were to go down, the HR24 would still work but the Genie Mini wouldn't

- I would still be able to access the Genie's DVR content from the HR24

- I have an extra DVR in the house at no additional cost or monthly fees

The Genie Mini sounded like it was only an extension of the main Genie receiver, but not an independent receiver which means various +/-'s. Also the Genie Mini is smaller in size, which wasn't important to me in this situation.

You made the right choice.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Yes, Keeping the Hr24 was a good idea -Reason is has two independent Tuners -The Genie Has 5 independent Tuners You will be able to record 7 shows at the same starting times without a conflict (should you wish to do it) .

Using a Mini with the Genie on another TV -will take a LIVE turner away from the genie while viewing a different (live) channel.

The whole home PKG will show all the shows stored on the Genie and Hr24 in one play list from either TV.

Enjoy your new upgraded service

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.