AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, for the past few days I have been getting the error 771 on my HD-DVR (I believe its something like HR22-100). It works fine all day, and then at night, the image just stops wherever it is and brings up the error--if you change the channel, it stays black, but the error goes away. I checked the satellite strength and it all looked normal (except for three at zero, all above 70 with most above 85 and several at 97-100) and the other three SD receivers are fine. Of note is that it's been exceptionally cold lately (-5 and below, especially at night) but otherwise there's been no unusual weather to report. I called DirecTV today and they're sending a repairman next Thursday, but if possible I'd like to resolve this issue sooner. Obviously I don't want to wait almost an entire week.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had Directv installed End of last month DEC 08. SInce the install I would sometimes get the 771 error. Usually flip the channel and back and it would be gone. Now last night it went out completely. I am in the sub zero weather here in Ohio also. This morning when the sun started hitting my dish. The signal came back. Now again tonight its out again. Tech will be out tomorrow. I just went out and took the LNB off and brought it inside. I am going to put it back on when it gets to room temp. I will let you know of any goings on.

P.S. The netflix player really comes in handy, at times like these.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Alright. So I let the LNB get to room temp and reinstalled. It took about an hour. Its -14 below real temp outside (No wind).

So the signal was indentified immediately. So my guess is something in the LNB is freezing.

Or I suppose that the connection at the LNB was not tight enough.

I will update as needed.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I was also getting 771 errors over the weekend. Mine were on channels 501, 537 and 539. I called into tech support and went through the usual reset, cable check, etc, but no change. Was told I needed to schedule a technician for $$. Thanks but no thanks.

Then this afternoon the sun came out and temps hit the 40's. Now my channels are back. Add that to the lore ...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine has been getting the error 771 since install. I wouldn't lose picture it would just come up and I would have to flip up a channel and back and the searching for signal would then go away. When it got cold it went out completely. The tech came out and changed the LNB and I was still get the error. So he came back today and and switched out my HDDVR and now it doesn't have the error.

My question does anyone else have this problem with the error coming up on some channels? It usually will got out after a few seconds.

The tech told me that he never heard of it and then when he came out the next day he said that someone else had the same problem. I wonder if the new HR23's have a problem.

I just don't want to go past the 90 days and have to pay for a box? Or pay for a tech to come out for their problems.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Also getting 771 error at night here in Chicago area starting on 1/19. All signals strengths go to zero except for local SD transponders on 101. Signal strengths come up to 30's-50's during the day, so still not good enough.

I'm running the sidecar dish with Zinwell 616 switch. I've tried bypassing the switch and checked strengths on all 6 receivers with same results.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts