AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody out there heard or read anything about Directv expanding their HDTV programming outside HDNET, HBOHD, and SHOWTIMEHD?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Well, for what its worth (maybe nothing) the dealer who sold me a projector said that DirectTV will be getting Discovery HD very soon.

Dan

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Look in the NFL extension thread, someone posted that supposedly this package will offer some HD games.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
HDNet (Mark Cuban) has stated that they will will be offering 3 channels of HD material sometime around the first of '03. Whether DirecTV will make them available is another topic. If you want more info do a search for HDNet.

·
Registered
524 Posts
It seems every time that there's some transponders for HD expansion, it gets filled up with more SD. They tried to combine 2 HD channels on one transponder, but there were problems that resulted and there are no signs of it being solved. Sat-B had some space, but got filled up with locals (and also has Para Todos). Now Sat-C which was hoped to have 3 transponders for HD has SHO-HD and tp 12 is now filled with more SD programming (ch. 450-454). I only see the possibility of one other HD channel the way it looks now. My letter to them regarding my disappointment was, of course, responded to with their out-of-date canned response that HD is too expensive and they will add it when it becomes available!

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Dish can blow $700 million on a failed merger but they won't poney up a free 8psk mod for the few people who own a Dish 6000 receiver. If they would do that, they could easily add a few more channels with no more bandwidth being used.

Come on Dish, do the math, free mods=many more subscribers.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Munky788
Has anybody out there heard or read anything about Directv expanding their HDTV programming outside HDNET, HBOHD, and SHOWTIMEHD?

While activating a HD200 STB this week, a D* representative told me that DiscoveryHD will begin airing on D* this month (free channel like HDNET with TotalChoice or above programming).

Looking forward to more HD programming.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Wow, I hope that's true. I would love to have Discovery in HD. And now I hear more HD.net channels are on the way within a month (I'm a newbie)... my investment in HDTV is looking more promising than it did when I bought it last week!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jeffmcclan
While activating a HD200 STB this week, a D* representative told me that DiscoveryHD will begin airing on D* this month (free channel like HDNET with TotalChoice or above programming).
This would be the coolest Christmas present D* could give me. Anyone want to give odds on this actually happening?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Saw a promo last night for Discovery HD and it said to contact Dish OR your local cable or satellite dealer. There wasn't the "not available on DirecTV" disclaimer at the end either ... subtle but makes you go hmmm.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jeffmcclan

Looking forward to more HD programming.
Can anyone with DirecTv sourses confirm this? Outstanding news if it is true!

HDNet told us (when we toured) that they should have their 3 new channels on the air by the end of this year - but they did NOT say that they would be on DirecTv for sure. (In negotiations).

It would be great if all those channels would be added now - just in time for Christmas ideas! ;)

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
ESPN-HD absolutely must be carried on the multi-channel service that made its name around sports.

I am hoping against hope they get that.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I got an email form Mark stating that the HDNet channels would be available on cable first??

it depends on whether you are directv or cable.. cable will probably launch before Direct

m

·
Registered
181 Posts
Is it an AVS requirement that every other month someone has to suggest that Discovery HD is coming to DTV "any day now"?

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
1) Yes, we've heard this before.

2) Yes, it's still a rumor, as there is no official news regarding this.

3) As mentioned many times before, the last time DirecTV said they were in negotiations for an HDTV channel, it took about 2 years for them to get Showtime.

Anyway, it could happen.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
I was in CC last weekend, and all the HD sets were showing Discovery HD. I know CC does not sell Dish receivers, only DirecTV, so wondered if this was a canned loop off a hard drive, being received with a "big dish" or what.

I asked a salesman about the origin of this in-store Discovery HD demo, and he said it was DirecTV! Stated DirecTV carried HBO, HDNet, Showtime, and Discovery HD. When I told him I had a DirecTV HD box and couldn't get Discovery HD on it, he seemed to get really confused. I would bet the guy was basically clueless and that the demo Discovery HD they were showing was either off a big dish or hard drive.

I do think it somewhat Illogical for them to use an HD demo channel with an easily identifiable channel ID bug displayed on it for a channel that none of the equipment they sell can receive

however, so can't help thinking that soon this channel will be available on gear that they sell, i.e. DirecTV receivers.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve S
so wondered if this was a canned loop off a hard drive, .
I always wondered how CC did a HD canned loop off a hard drive. I can understand a DVD image but HD?

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
They use a device from Sencore that stores HD on an HD. :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Because the DOJ and FCC did not allow the merger E* and D* will not announce any more HD just SD out of spite.

This is just speculation but it would not surprise me. In the last six months they have been lighting up plenty of SD but no HD on all orbital slots. D* has just added a bunch of (money making) SD on the 110.

http://www.lyngsat.com/dig/directvusa110.shtml

D* is under great pressure to show a profit in 2003 from GM.

I hope I'm wrong ..... but it don't look good.

·
Registered
157 Posts
D* adding more SD product out of spite will drive me right to my cable provider who will likely have more HD channels.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.