AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
cs-1 processed signals, originating from my hd hughes/directv 480i y/c output, render a serious flickering (banding?) in areas of large, deep colors. i have tried both svid inputs on the cs-1 and i have also tried different output resoultions (480p, 540p and 1080i) but the results are the same. i have also tried switching cables. when i select pass through the "flickering" is gone.

this does not happen to cs-1 processed originating from my c-band connections. any thoughts?

i don't know if "flickering" best describes the problem. in large areas filled with bright colors, a constant dark wave or motion is always present. anyone else experiencing this?

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
contaced mike at fe and he suggested that i turn off auto gain in the cs-1's menu options. unfortunately, this did not work - any suggestions from the group? otherwise have to wait until monday to talk to mike again.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I haven't noticed anything like this and I've used my CS-1 a lot with both a Hughes DirecTiVo and a Sony DirecTiVo. My input is on Svideo with output to a standard XGA rez.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
boblinds:

thanks for the response - i am using the hughes hird-e86 platinum hd receiver - what is the model number of the hughes you are using?

anyway... tried again today to resolve the flickering and, thinking that it may have something to do with my custom output resolutions, i did default reset. now i have flickering #and# coupled with the added benefit of digging up and re-entering all of the custom settings i deleted!

i'm not sure if all directv channel guides are the same but surfing to channel 515 dtv, "order directv - the guide today!", illustrates my problem. the predominantly blue screen flickers badly when running thru the cs-1's s-video input; when i select pass thru and switch my hughes to 1080i, the flicker is gone.

·
Premium Member
8,099 Posts
can you please describe the artifact more clearly?

Flickering means it flickers like a movie (as if you have a picture, then black, then another picture, etc.).

Banding means that colors that have similar tones are banded together and shown as the same color. You this is with gray ramps, where instead of a continuous ramp of increasing black (or white), you see an area (or areas) of the same amount of gray.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oferlaor:

thanks for your post because, based on your artifact descriptions of flickering and banding, i was barking up the wrong tree.

the best i can describe my problem is in this way:

assume that the display device is filled entirely with one solid deep hued color, like the deep blue background of your post to me for example. rather than this color appearing evenly distributed, evenly painted (?) throughout the entire display, it appears as if the color moving, i.e., vibrating, humming or fluttering. the color is not consistent throughout the display nor does it appear stable.

when flipping through channels using directv, there appears an information bar across the top of each channel which gives one programming info. this bar is somewhat translucent so that the program can be seen through it. well, this bar also exhibits the same humming.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.