AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have directv and have seen so many people tailgating with tripods and dishes set up and am ready to do it myself.

I live in Tulsa and will be going to stillwater about 90 miles away and still want to maintain the HD locals like abc, nbc, etc as well as espn obviously.

What all do i need other then the dish, tripod, rec, cable. heard of a multiswitch maybe special kind of dish or something.

thanks in advance.

joe

·
Registered
897 Posts
Are you planning to reuse your present equipment, dish, receiver etc. or are you planning to duplicate the equipment you have at home? If you are going to duplicate equipment you need the dish setup necessary to receive the satellites you are going to watch. Reusing the receiver is generally easy to do depending on how it is installed. Local channels should still work 90 miles away. There is normally a limit to how far from your home city local channels will work. Campers World and Radio Shack sell the tripods. The tripod must be anchored in some manner.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
What you need really depends on what receiver you are going to be using, and what kind of setup you have at home.

What model receiver are you planning on using (D12, R16, H21, HR23, etc)? If you don't know the model it should be written on a sticker on the back, or inside the little door next to the access card.

Do you have a old style round dish with only standard def service or do you have an oval shaped dish and hi-def service?

Do you have a SWM system or not (SWM only requires one cable to each DVR instead of two)?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey guys thanks for the reply i have been at a wedding all weekend. I am gonna buy all new equipment I heard for HD and local channels i will need the slimline dish and 3 or 5 lnbs ??? is this correct. also will probably just buy a new box from directv that just HD think they are $99 on their website.

I have HD now the boxes that have DVR both have 2 cables.

Also been told the multiswitch is inside the LNB. is this crazy difficult to get lined up at tailgating? i would obviously practice at home first. thanks guys

joe

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.