AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, the mother-in-law has a Filipino Sat. TV system that is being transitioned over to DirecTV. The programming will cost $22.95 ($15.95 during a promotion period), plus some DirecTV programming, but they apparently have a service called DirecTV Basic which only costs $9.95 (and includes locals, so not a bad deal). She's being offered a free install, but the transition is in little over a month, so not much time to make a decision.

Anyone know what type of a dish this service is going to require? Is this likely to be on their new Mpeg-4 system, the older HD sats., or the main sats. which have been used for DirecTV for years?

I'm asking in part to get informtion for her. But it seems like this would be a pretty good deal if you didn't care at all for "cable channels" but wanted DirecTV locals, or wanted HD programming or even Sunday Ticket (assuming they'd let you add that).

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
I don't have an answer for you, just a question: what's in D* Basic? Most Total Choice (more like No Choice) channels are useless to me and I'd love to have a truly basic cable package.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just contacted D* about the basic programming package, apparently u can only get this if u are ordering foreign programming. Sounds a little bias towards the people that just want to order it to get other packages (like Sunday ticket), but they make the rules we just have to follow them. Also i think u need a special dish to get foreign programming

·
Registered
423 Posts
Yes, you need a different dish to get current international programming (but I'm not postitve if it was one Superdish or 2 separate dishes, leaning towards the superdish). I don't think it'd be MPEG4 or have anything to do with HD, but I honestly have no clue

·
Registered
98 Posts
If you sub under the DTV basic + an international service located at 95W (Galaxy3R) then the equiptment will most likely be a D10 receiver and a 4*4 switch with a large superdish looking like collector. Because the international service is sold at a price much higher than if you were to subscribe to the international service alone, the Direct TV Basic package is required and provided at a minimal price. That is what I got out of some of the installers here about the service.

·
Registered
14 Posts
there is no higher priced subscription than NFL sunday ticket, more than any foreign programming. It is just another example of america taking care of everybody else from around the world, except there own.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
This is really just an example of how ridiculously overpriced pro footballers are. ANd the NFL just passes that cost off on the tv rights that D* bought. Be pissed all you want at the NFL, or for D* agreeing to their ridculous sums of money for exclusive coverage, but you honestly dont expect D* to sell NFLST to its customers for a loss do you?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.