AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, I know this is weird. I have two UTV's. I have been controlling them with one using the AUX button on the remote and the other the DirecTV button for the past year. Well, all of a sudden, most of the time neither box will respond to the remote when using the DirecTV button. Both will work if i set the box to use AUX. I have tried both remotes that came with the boxes. I even replaced the batteries with new ones in both remotes. I am at a loss. This is weird!!!! I haven't had a software upgrade since the last official release. I even unplugged both boxes for a half hour. Any ideas??

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, gets weirder. I just kept going back and forth with both remotes and kept doing the multiple receiver setup over and over again and choosing the remote type. Now all of a sudden one of the remotes works again, but the other one won't work with AUX or DirecTV. WTF?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay found this on the RCA web site and did it to both. One of them is still working and the other one will every now and then after a few minutes of pressing the buttons. Am I going nuts here or are my UTV's possessed? LOL

To reset your remote control:

Remove the batteries.

Hold down the 1 button for one minute.

Place the batteries back into your remote.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My UTV remote just started doing the same thing. I use the AUX for my UTV and the DTV for my DTC-100. Right now I have to swap remotes anytime I want to watch any Hi-def stuff and it is making me crazy. I will try your reset trick when I get home and see if that fixes my problem.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Besides resetting the remote as you've mentioned... you can also manually reprogram the AUX and DTV Buttons. 5001 is the code for AUX (this isn't listed in the Setup Guide) and 5000 is for DTV (RCA only). Just follow the instuctions in your UTV setup guide...

This will let you test your DTV and AUX buttons... if DTV works (as AUX) but doesn't work as DTV then a reset of the remote is in order.

Doing a reset of the UTV might also solve some issues. You should reset them once a month anyway... so pick a favorite method and do it regularly...

Later,

David T.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks a lot for the codes Igodavid. I couldn't find my manuals. May have tossed them. I couldn't find the codes on the RCA web site. I'll try that if I have the same prob again. One remote still doesn't work, but as long as one of them is I'm fine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well a reset of the remote resulted in my UTV responding to both the DTV button and the AUX button. The UTV is setup to respond to the AUX, I changed it to respond to the DTV and neither button worked anymore. I put it back to respond to AUX and both buttons again worked. It appears both the AUX and DTV buttons are using the 5001 code, but the DTV button on the UTV remote cannot be programed. I'm at a loss, I'll try the remote reset a few more times and if that doesn't work, I'll just wait for my RCU-810 from EBAY to arrive.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good luck with that RCA RCU-810 fstick09. :) No way I'd deliberately buy an RCA remote. The writing on the UTV remotes was almost completely gone within months of buying my 2 UTV's. Cheapest remote I've ever seen. I had a Philips Pronto TSU2000 for awhile but found I just don't like the absence of a lot of hard buttons. I sold it on E-Bay a couple of months ago. Touchscreen just didn't do it for me. I'm thinking about the Pronto Neo now or the Home Theater Master MX-500. Anyone heard of this one?? Saw it on the best buy site. Wonder what the Internet thing is all about.

Philips PROmote Programmable Remote with Internet Learning Capability

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by deepthinker
Thanks a alot for the codes Igodavid. I couldn't find my manuals. May have tossed them. I couldn't find the codes on the RCA web site. I'll try that if I have the same prob again. One remote still doesn't work, but as long as one of them is I'm fine.
Need to (re)program your UTV Remote?

You can find the (RCA/Sony) UTV Setup Guide on UTV's website:

http://www.ultimatetv.com/userguides.asp

User Guides are available too, if you need them.

You'll need Adobe Acrobat Reader...

Later,

David T.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Wow, didn't see this on the site. This sounds kind of like what they used to do on that Microsoft/Timex Datawatch where you just held it up to the monitor and the screen flickered to send the data. That's nifty.

"Web-programmable without wired connection; exclusive digital light bar technology makes programming quick and easy; programs in 2.5 seconds"

·
Registered
16 Posts
Deepthinker - I saw that remote on-line the other day, but I went with the RCA rcu-810 because almost all my gear is RCA or Proscan. The fact that it is JP1 programmable was a big draw and if it doesn't work like I want then I am only out about $25 w/shipping. On the remote labels, it must be something with the UTV remotes, the highly used button labels have started to wear off, but none of my other RCA remotes have that label problem. I have thought about getting a Pronto, but like you I don't think I would like the lack of hard buttons. Anyway we'll see how the rcu-810 works out.

Igodavid - Thanks for the links. I think my problem is just a bum remote. I have tried reprogamming the darn thing, but not being able to reprogram the DTV button is my hangup. Since the DTV button is now acting like it is programmed with the 5001 code, I almost got away with programming the AUX with the 5000 code. This works for controlling both the UTV and DTC-100, but since my tv is also RCA both buttons cause my tv to autotune to the HDTV input. Errr so close. I'll let it sit without batteries overnight and see it if will reset, if not I'll just wait for my rcu-810 or buy a new UTV remote on EBAY.

Thanks to both of you for the help.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Since you asked about the MX-500, I'll toss in my .02 worth. I've had this remote for about a year, and it is the best remote I've ever owned...until I got the MX-700. With the PC software, the MX-700 is like the 500 on steroids!

Either one of these will satisfy your love of buttons...and programibility. If you're MACRO crazy, take a look at the MX-700.

Chas.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, I've read rave reviews about the MX-500 on Remote Central. Is it as bulky of a remote as it looks in the pictures? Never seen one in person. I read the review for the MX-700. You must have deep pockets. Isn't that thing like $600 or something. I think I'll stick with the sub $200 MX-500. :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hey deepthinker, in case I've never told you thanks...here it is..."Thanks!"

Why, you might ask? Because of seeing your DVD collection. I was trying to figure out how to keep track of mine, so when I saw your link, I decided to give DVD Profiler a shot...and I've been a very happy registered owner since early this year!

Back to the remote:

I don't have as deep pockets as you might think, but I've always figured that the remote was the most essential piece of my home theater. It's the one component that I use the most, and touch the most. It's also the piece that the family MUST be able to use, especially the wife. I've looked high and low for one that I liked, and would have a high WAF (wife acceptance factor). I've tried things like the Pronto and Sony LCD based models, but came to the conclusion that I'm a "hard button" guy. I splurged on the MX-500 a little over a year ago, and I love it. It's a bit big, but its design makes it comfortable for one-handed use. And not insignificant, the spouse and kids can pick it up and be happy with it. Although it is known in these parts as "Dad's remote".

When the MX-700 came out, I drooled over it, but couldn't justify it. That is until I got a great deal on a Pioneer all-in-one mini home theater system. That's now in the basement "computer room" and has an Envision LCD TV/PC monitor hooked up to it, along with a Sony UTV. Of course neither the Pioneer "universal" remote nor the Sony UTV "universal" remote can control the Envision TV/monitor, nor can they adequately control each other. So there I was, in the market for another universal remote. I was about to buy another MX-500, and decided to really splurge and give the MX-700 a shot. Boy, have I been glad I did. It's software is pretty easy to use and makes programming the remote almost a breeze. So now the MX-700 is the main HT remote, and the MX-500 is being relegated to the basement computer room HT setup.

The MX-700 list is about $500, but I've seen people that bought it for anywhere from $350 - $500. It's pricey, but there have been very few other devices that I've been as happy with over the long haul.

By-the-way, and I'm guessing you already know this, the greatest site for checking out remotes is Daniel Tonk's

Remote Central Forum

Chas.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the thanks. I love DVD Profiler. I registered it before 1.0 even came out. Just so you know, if you can find one of those Cue Cat's that Radio Shack was giving away for awhile there for free, and you can still find them. There is a patch to turn it in to a pure bar code scanner. The 2.0 version of DVD profiler has built-in support for bar code scanners. Then you can scan DVD's into your collection with it. Check out this link for starters and just do a search on the net for Cue Cat and you can probably track one down.

http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/powercn...mtbrand=AOL_US

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by fstick09
Deepthinker - I saw that remote on-line the other day, but I went with the RCA rcu-810 because almost all my gear is RCA or Proscan. The fact that it is JP1 programmable was a big draw and if it doesn't work like I want then I am only out about $25 w/shipping. On the remote labels, it must be something with the UTV remotes, the highly used button labels have started to wear off, but none of my other RCA remotes have that label problem. I have thought about getting a Pronto, but like you I don't think I would like the lack of hard buttons. Anyway we'll see how the rcu-810 works out.

Igodavid - Thanks for the links. I think my problem is just a bum remote. I have tried reprogamming the darn thing, but not being able to reprogram the DTV button is my hangup. Since the DTV button is now acting like it is programmed with the 5001 code, I almost got away with programming the AUX with the 5000 code. This works for controlling both the UTV and DTC-100, but since my tv is also RCA both buttons cause my tv to autotune to the HDTV input. Errr so close. I'll let it sit without batteries overnight and see it if will reset, if not I'll just wait for my rcu-810 or buy a new UTV remote on EBAY.

Thanks to both of you for the help.
The code for the rca utv on the 810 is 0409. It already has the PIP, PIP swap,the transport keys(play,FF) mapped. Whats missing is TV HOME, MYSHOWS. But its a learning remote,and your old remote still works sometimes, so you should be able to teach the 810 whatevers missing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Edmund,I read your post recently & bought the #15-2116 from Radio Shack.Is it easy to program all of the Ultimate functions,IE.My Shows,the 2 skip buttons,etc.

I also have the RCA # 810 remote,but can't figure out how to program the above functions onto it.

Tks,

THE DON

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am going to go buy one of these tomorrow. It's model number is URC 8910.

One For All 8-Device Universal Learning Remote

BB only sells it online for $44.99, but CC sells this one in-store for $59.99. I'll get CC to price match BB online. A step-up, the URC 9910, is available in-store at BB and uses RF, but it's $30 more. I don't need the RF, as I have an RCA remote extender in the bedroom. I read good reviews about the 8910. A few from people that own UTV's. It has full learning capability. Every single button can be learned and the transport keys look like they are in the best position. One of the biggest pluses for this one is that there are two sets of FF and Rewind keys in the transport area. There is a F. Rew and a F. FWD below the Rew, Play, and Fwd keys. So, you can have the skip keys right next to the FF and Rewind keys like the original UTV remote. The only difference is that the skip keys will be located below the FF and Rewind, as opposed to the original remote where they are above. There are 3 macro keys below the transport along with 4 keys named L1-L4 for learning special keys. Great spot for the "My Shows" etc. This way almost all the UTV functions are together at the bottom. The picture of the battery compartment shows that the batteries sit in the middle of the remote, actually more towards the bottom of the remote, so it shouldn't be top heavy. I downloaded the manual and it looks like a nice remote for the price. I figure I'll try it for a couple of days and if I don't like it I'll take it back. I'll give you guys a review, as it pertains to UTV, this weekend. Here's the quick specs....

• Advanced Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) with 15 alphanumeric

characters, real-time clock, and icons for constant visual feedback

of operations and programming sequences

• A unique Home Theater mode that combines different device

controls under one mode for operating convenience

• Three macro keys for instant activation of favorite key sequences

• Four learning keys to capture unique functions from your

devices’ original remote controls

• Key Mover for copying keys from one device to another, or to a

different position in the same mode

• Code Search to help you program device codes without using the

code list (starting on page 14) or for brands or models not listed

• Favorite Channel Scan for easy channel surfing

• Mode reassignment to control duplicate types of devices

• Volume Lock to assign volume controls to individual devices or to

one global device

• Commercial Skip feature allows you to channel surf during

commercial interruptions of your favorite programs

• Pre-programmed database with the world’s largest and most

efficient group of infrared codes insures device compatibility

• Internal modem for upgrading device codes over the telephone

• A low battery icon to notify you when batteries are getting low

• Backlighting feature to aid operation in low ambient light

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by THE DON
Edmund,I read your post recently & bought the #15-2116 from Radio Shack.Is it easy to program all of the Ultimate functions,IE.My Shows,the 2 skip buttons,etc.

I also have the RCA # 810 remote,but can't figure out how to program the above functions onto it.

Tks,

THE DON
Don, you can't enter advanced codes into the 810 like you can with the 2116. You'll have to teach it the missing commands, the problem is the lack of enough memory, only about 20-30 learned commands for the whole remote.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
After posting all of that mess about the OFA 8910 and reading up on it some more, I've changed my mind. LOL It looks as though people are complaining a lot about the donut style directional keys and the select button being tiny. Seems as though people are saying the RCA 810 is a better remote. Guess, I'll try it first instead. It's available in-store at BB for $5 more than the OFA and I hate going to CC. I just don't like the idea that I would have to program the skip buttons to the learning keys at the top. They're far away from the rest of the transport controls at the bottom. I guess I could get used to it.

Edmund,

Is every key on the 810 learnable?? The manual seems to indicate only the special learning keys are. How much setup did you have to do with the 810 to work perfectly with UTV? Think I will have a problem with setting up my second UTV under AUX, because of the limited memory? If you can only learn to the special keys I could be screwed. I noticed there are 4 RCA codes for Sat boxes. Could you do me a favor and set your UTV to use AUX and see if one of the other codes works for it? That would save a lot of time programming the transport for my second box.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.