AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Directv Genie with multiple tv's "wireless" vs "non wireless" etc...

Hi, currently am trying to figure out if I want to go with a wireless DTV Genie solution or their "wired" one. Currently have 3 TV's installed in family room home theatre. The main one is setup to a DTV regular non-genie receiver (HR24). My plan has been to pull that, connect the main genie to onkyo and main tv then add mini genies to the other 2 tvs that are NEXT to the main tv on either side. Then I have a tv in my garage that needs to be connected too. I do have regular dtv hr 24 boxes in bedroom and home office and those wont change for now. Basically focused on 3 tvs in family room and the one tv in the garage (they are all powered).

So I called DirecTV 3 times lately and the people who come on the phone initially don't seem to fully understand Genie architecture and how they actually work.

Anyway, do you know:

1) How do the "non wireless Genie" mini's connect? My current understanding is that ALL mini genies are in fact wireless (except for their power connection and their HDMI connection to each individual tv they are to work with).

2) Is the non wireless Genie only for a set up that has 1 or multiple TV's in the same room that are close proximity together? Because the non-wireless Genie minis can only communicate wirelessly a very short distance to the main genie box?

3) These "non wireless" genie mini's in fact communicate to the main Genie box wirelessly?

4) If 1 tv for example is in a room far from the main Genie box then that tv would definitely need to be part of a wireless Genie solution?

5) For the wired Genie solution, how many different Live shows or Sporting events for example could I have on at any one time. Current plan in family room is to have 3 different games on at once and would add a couple more TV's if I could have 5 different games at once. Then there is a tv in the garage that would also have 1 of those games.

6) If the non-wireless Genie minis are in the same room side by side or very close to each other, is there any interference to worry about?

7) If 4 tvs are on with different live shows via a genie solution, can the regular HR24 boxes be on too.. playing even more different shows (just checking).

Any info on this and feedback about your current setup would be excellent. Want to connect these properly in the most reliable manner...while thinking about future build out also (initially was thinking expanding from 3 TV's in family room to 5 but want to settle this initial step first and test it)(I could definitively live with 3 in one room if had to). Thanks for listening. Really appreciate it.

·
Registered
383 Posts
This won't be a line-by-line answer to your questions, but maybe will help you understand.

Unless something has changed recently, HR44 (Genie) and C41 (client or mini( communicate via MOCA, meaning they communicate via their coax connection. Each "box" will have power, coax and some AV output...typically an HDMI cable. Whenever possible use wired boxes, the wireless units (C41w) should be used only when there is no existing coax, or it would be cost prohibitive to run new coax.

You can have a max of 8 clients registered to an HR44, but only 3 can be active at a time. An HR44 uses 5 "tuners", 2 dedicated to the HR44, and 3 for the 3 simultaneously active clients.

I recommend using an HR44, 3 C41/C41w and then whichever modern "non-genie" boxes you desire. They should still be able to view the recordings from the HR44, but will need their own feed from the splitter. I think a SWM-16 splitter should allow you up to 16 unique programs at a time...any more than that and you are looking at a custom solution that your DTV installer probably won't even be willing to help with.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply and that helps. Amazing DirecTV when I called them told me that all minis were wireless and didn't need coax. Really don't feel like running coax from smart box downstairs to family room. But I will if the wired solution is supreme to the wireless Genie. DirecTV was also unclear about how many shows can be on at once. You said whenever possible use wired boxes so am worried about going with the wireless solution. Thanks again.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just spoke to another DirecTV person and she said for the wired solution, installer would run coax from main genie box to each individual mini via some coax type solution. If that was true then wouldn't need to run coax from smart box downstairs. The main Genie box and minis are all in same room so coax would run from main genie box to each mini all in same general location in my case. She also said the wired solution can have 5 different live shows at once. That would be 1 main genie box and 4 minis equaling 5 live shows. That means could have 5 TV's via the wired genie for 5 different live shows simultaneously. Hope she's right...

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
Just spoke to another DirecTV person and she said for the wired solution, installer would run coax from main genie box to each individual mini via some coax type solution. If that was true then wouldn't need to run coax from smart box downstairs.
Yes, if multiple boxes are in the same room, one coax coming from the dish can be split among those in the room, which will allow the MoCA networking to function as well. This assumes you have the SWM dish or a SWM module, otherwise the answer is different (and a "no").

She also said the wired solution can have 5 different live shows at once. That would be 1 main genie box and 4 minis equaling 5 live shows. That means could have 5 TV's via the wired genie for 5 different live shows simultaneously. Hope she's right...
I don't believe that is correct. As XJBaylor said, while you can have 8 clients connected, only 3 remote clients can be active at a time. But that should be enough for you. One output from the Genie unit itself, plus two more clients, covers your theater. One more client for the garage. And unless you expect to use the garage and all three theater TVs at the same time, you could add another client or two if you wanted (just not simultaneously).

Jeff

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey thanks Jeff. Actually my swim is downstairs so am going to have to run coax from their tomorrow and will terminate one for each tv. Probably run 4 so the 2 new tvs will be set and have 2 more in the walls in case I add a 4th and 5th tv (will need to confirm how many live shows at once are possible cuz the girl did say 5 shows at once...maybe its a new thing??). If cant use minis for those then would just use hr24's. At least they will be there just in case. Tv 2 and 3 are already mounted on articulated mounts and have power run to them. It looks tight. Just have to get the coax there. Have cat 5 there already too for the audio which will connect to pair of baluns for each tv and then to an audio switch so can switch audio from each tv and listen via the home theatre. Gonna run a 5th coax to garage which is in room right next to room where smart box is so no big deal. Hard wired will work 100% of the time and no sense playing with a wireless solution.

Going to need a larger swim hopefully DirectTV installer will have one when they come but that won't be for a week and a half. Going to have everything ready to go where DirectTV will just need to plug in the minis and main genie and turn it on and make sure it works. Thanks again.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey thanks Jeff. Actually my swim is downstairs so am going to have to run coax from their tomorrow and will terminate one for each tv. Probably run 4 so the 2 new tvs will be set and have 2 more in the walls in case I add a 4th and 5th tv (will need to confirm how many live shows at once are possible cuz the girl did say 5 shows at once...maybe its a new thing??). If cant use minis for those then would just use hr24's. At least they will be there just in case. Tv 2 and 3 are already mounted on articulated mounts and have power run to them. It looks tight. Just have to get the coax there. Have cat 5 there already too for the audio which will connect to pair of baluns for each tv and then to an audio switch so can switch audio from each tv and listen via the home theatre. Gonna run a 5th coax to garage which is in room right next to room where smart box is so no big deal. Hard wired will work 100% of the time and no sense playing with a wireless solution.

Going to need a larger swim hopefully DirectTV installer will have one when they come but that won't be for a week and a half. Going to have everything ready to go where DirectTV will just need to plug in the minis and main genie and turn it on and make sure it works. Thanks again.
Geeze, how many fuggin tv's do you have? Are you running a boarding house?

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
Geeze, how many fuggin tv's do you have? Are you running a boarding house?
If think folks can have too many TVs, you've probably in the wrong forum... :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.