AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years ago I had a DirecTV DVR HD Tivo Reciever. It allowed me to integrate the over the air antenna right into the guide inside the DirecTV menu. so if I picked a Local station that I got via HD antenna it would just use the antenna for reception without me having to change inputs etc.

Does anyone know if the DIRECTV H24 will do the same??

·
Registered
680 Posts
The only DirecTv HD receivers with ota tuners built in are the H20 series (non dvr) and the HR20 series dvrs. None of the "newer" HD receivers (H21-H24) have ota capabilities built in but, you can connect an AM-21 to the newer receivers via the usb port. The AM-21 is available from DirecTv and some on-line retailers.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerstalker /forum/post/19562385

I can still order an AM21 from their website. Where did you hear they were no longer available from DirecTV?

You might want to look again.... I can't find in on their website.

Directly from both D* and their local installer told me it had been out of their system for several months. This was back in August.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I looked right before I typed my response. Go to the DirecTV website and log into your account. Click on the My Equipment Tab, then click on Accessories. The AM21 will be listed there so you can add it to your cart.

It will only show up if you have compatible receivers active on your account. I believe their computer system is still out of date though and thinks that only the HR21, HR22, and HR23 are compatible. I don't think their system has been updated to allow you to order it for use with an HR24, H21, H23, or H24 (it works with those now as well).

Also, if you already have on in your cart, and haven't finished the purchase or deleted it, then it won't show up under the list of accessories.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Let's hope that works. The system let me buy one. I'll put it on my H21.

Back in August, not even the Retention Department was able to get one for me... and that came from a supervisor. That was after they scheduled a service call to install one and then having the installer call me on the morning of the install to tell me they couldn't get one.

I'll let you know if the order is actually filled.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Yeah, definitely let me know.

I think most of the problem is hardly anyone at D* knows what the AM21 is. When I called because I was having issues with my AM21 the CSR at first kept insisting I had the model number wrong and I had to be talking about my HR21. Then she kept asking me questions about my satellite signal strength, etc. Finally she wanted to set up an appointment for a service tech to come out.

I kept trying to explain to her that the service techs don't know anything about the AM21, and that they just needed to send me a new one (I have the protection plan). I finally just gave up and decided to call back again later, but haven't had a chance to yet.

·
Registered
335 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerstalker /forum/post/19574265

Yeah, definitely let me know.

I think most of the problem is hardly anyone at D* knows what the AM21 is. When I called because I was having issues with my AM21 the CSR at first kept insisting I had the model number wrong and I had to be talking about my HR21. Then she kept asking me questions about my satellite signal strength, etc. Finally she wanted to set up an appointment for a service tech to come out.

I kept trying to explain to her that the service techs don't know anything about the AM21, and that they just needed to send me a new one (I have the protection plan). I finally just gave up and decided to call back again later, but haven't had a chance to yet.

Yeah, my H10 died about six weeks ago. I am getting a replacement receiver (don't know which one, but I asked for an H20 if available - propably not). both the H10 and H20 map the OTA into the D* guide - very nice. I will have to use the tuner in the TV to get OTA and lose this mapping capability when I get the new receiver. One of the reasons I use an antennae is because I get about 50 channels (including subchannels) from three different markets. In the D* locals I only get 6 channels! D* will not allow you to get more than one local area. I doubt that D* will continue to support OTA.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
I'm happy to report I have a new AM21 that was delivered on Friday. Total cost was $53 and some change with sales tax.

Just annoys the crap out of me that everyone I talked to at DTV gave me bad information which I then passed on (believing it was correct). Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
335 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pclement /forum/post/19609702

Yeah, my H10 died about six weeks ago. I am getting a replacement receiver (don't know which one, but I asked for an H20 if available - propably not). both the H10 and H20 map the OTA into the D* guide - very nice. I will have to use the tuner in the TV to get OTA and lose this mapping capability when I get the new receiver. One of the reasons I use an antennae is because I get about 50 channels (including subchannels) from three different markets. In the D* locals I only get 6 channels! D* will not allow you to get more than one local area. I doubt that D* will continue to support OTA.

Just to update. I did receive an H20 Reconditioned Receiver. Therefore, I am back in business with OTA. When I activated my system, the CSR kept telling me I had to install the B-Band converter although I already explained I didn't need one with a Phase III dish and there wasn't one in the box (D* is sending me one anyway). I do not get D* HD on a Phase III dish anymore. I would need a new dish to do this, but I am waiting until D* updates their system to the Home Media Center as mentioned in another thread of this section. The CSR did not know when that would be happening.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Glad to hear you got it ProjectSHO89. It really seems like the AM21 is the red-headed stepchild of DirecTV. Most CSRs don't know that it exists, and most of the ones that do know about have old information that says it won't work unless you have an HR21 and up. Hope it works well for you.

The one I have in my living room works great. The one in my theater room for some reason doesn't get half of the channels it should be getting. It's hooked up to the same antenna, and if I unhook the AM21 and hook the antenna striaght into the TV in that room the TV gets the channels fine. I think the tuner in that AM21 must be bad. I tried calling and getting it replaced with the protection plan, but the CSR I dealt with had no idea what I was talking about.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry for the partial cross-post. I have installation scheduled for Friday. There are no HD locals in my service area...therefore OTA HD integration in my menus is a deal breaker. I've been promised that TWO AM21's will be on the truck (one for each HR24). If they're not, the guy won't even be invited to take down his ladder.

I still am having trouble getting clear information about what the AM21 will or won't do for me. I surmise the following:

With no HD locals off the satellite I need an antenna to receive them. To integrated the OTA HD channels in the HD DVR's guides, I need an AM21 tuner. Now the tuner and DVR will only handle channels that the Tribune Company have listed properly. I can check the listing by going to Zap 2 It and looking at the antenna listings for my zip code. What I see there, should become integrated in my guides via the AM21.

Thanks

·
Registered
797 Posts
That is how the AM21 is supposed to work, assuming that your particular locals are actually loaded into the Directv database (via TMS).

·
Registered
9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech /forum/post/20680089

That is how the AM21 is supposed to work, assuming that your particular locals are actually loaded into the Directv database (via TMS).

Thanks.

Is it a reliable gauge, if the channels I'm concerned about are listed in Zap 2 It's broadcast/antenna listings for my area?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just ordered my box too. (I'm a little slow). If I set my location to Rochester I see the channels I want to get on Zap 2. If I set my location to my address I see the other channels I don't want. I just want to be sure I will be able to see the stations from Rochester. Rochester is 13 miles away from me, but the locals DirecTV gives me are 70 miles away from me. Which is fine until you watch the news...

·
Registered
1,975 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinkydinky /forum/post/20680051

Sorry for the partial cross-post. I have installation scheduled for Friday. There are no HD locals in my service area...therefore OTA HD integration in my menus is a deal breaker. I've been promised that TWO AM21's will be on the truck (one for each HR24). If they're not, the guy won't even be invited to take down his ladder.

I still am having trouble getting clear information about what the AM21 will or won't do for me. I surmise the following:

With no HD locals off the satellite I need an antenna to receive them. To integrated the OTA HD channels in the HD DVR's guides, I need an AM21 tuner. Now the tuner and DVR will only handle channels that the Tribune Company have listed properly. I can check the listing by going to Zap 2 It and looking at the antenna listings for my zip code. What I see there, should become integrated in my guides via the AM21.

Thanks

Good luck with that. I can all but guarantee the installer will not have the AM-21s on his truck. They are not an item that the installers carry or install themself. You have to order them after your system is in place and install them yourself. If you ordered straight through a local retailer and they are the ones doing the install I guess you might get them but I still wouldn't bet on it.

As far as what channels you should be able to get, yes if they are listed on Zap-2-it they should be available to you. However, DirecTV has been very bad about adding OTA channels for about the last year, so if any of those OTA channels are newer then that I wouldn't count on getting them even if they do show up on Zap-2-it. Also if any of them are low power digital, or analog stations don't plan on getting them either.

Overall the AM21 is a handy add on, but it definitely has some shortcomings.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerstalker /forum/post/20681985

Good luck with that. I can all but guarantee the installer will not have the AM-21s on his truck. They are not an item that the installers carry or install themself. You have to order them after your system is in place and install them yourself. If you ordered straight through a local retailer and they are the ones doing the install I guess you might get them but I still wouldn't bet on it.

As far as what channels you should be able to get, yes if they are listed on Zap-2-it they should be available to you. However, DirecTV has been very bad about adding OTA channels for about the last year, so if any of those OTA channels are newer then that I wouldn't count on getting them even if they do show up on Zap-2-it. Also if any of them are low power digital, or analog stations don't plan on getting them either.

Overall the AM21 is a handy add on, but it definitely has some shortcomings.

I've confirmed that the need for two AM21's is in the technician's notes on my order. If they show up without them I won't authorize the installation. He can go back and get them that morning or they can reschedule. When they call ahead to confirm someone is on-site for the installation I'll inquire about the OTA tuners then and save them the trip if they don't have them. I'm not proceeding with the installation and cancelling Dish Network until it's a settled issue and I'm perfectly willing to simply cancel the order. I was promised two AM21's for the cost I paid. I've confirmed that it's noted in the installation instructions. I'm prepared to play chicken with them. I'm inflexible.

Thanks for wishing me luck!

·
Registered
442 Posts
I tried the Tivo as an OTA recorder and believe it works the same way as the Direct TV model being discussed. It relied on the company to supply a list of channels that could be received in my area which ultimately comes from Tribune Corp. and is the same information seen on Zap2it.com.

One can indeed see on Zap2it if your channels of interest are being carried but it is not apparent if all of the other technical data is correct. For instance, here in El Paso, they had the actual RF frequency being used by several of my local stations incorrect. This meant that when I tried to tune to say the local PBS station which now broadcasts on channel 13, the tuner went to channel 30. There is also PSIP data which needs to be correct (about 3 sets of numbers) and again if it is wrong you will just get a black screen.

I found it almost impossible to explain this type of problem to the service representatives over the phone. They do not even understand that channels do not always broadcast on the channel that they advertise themselves as.

I hope you have better luck with Direct TV.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.