Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Novice question:

Currently have a 5yr old Directv box subscribing to only a few sports packages (NFL, NHL, college football, and getting pay per view channels) kind of an ala carte subscription and no monthly total choice package.

I want to upgrade my box to an HDTV Directv receiver (sony sat-hd300).

It appears that Circuit City and Directv is forcing me to buy a 12 month total choice package in addition to the new hardware.

My question, if I can somehow get a hdtv box without requiring the 12 month lock-in via ebay or a store that will sell without the 12 month lock-in (any suggestions) will I be able to take my current card out the old box and put into the new Directv HDTV box and continue my current settings and subscription without needing a new access card or Directv's intervention? I fear the answer is no since either the new Directv HDTV box will need a newer access card or Directv will need to perform some kind of maintenance to this new setup?

Or will the access card work fine and Directv will not care about the hardware the card is being used in?

Any suggestions or success stories in this matter?

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
The old card won't give you access to any HD channels--all are either included with movie packages (HBO and Showtime) or part of the separate 4 channel 10.99 a month HD pack. When you call to order them you'll be told you have to order at least Total Choice to get them.

I'm pretty sure the card format's changed anyway so it wouldn't work at all in any of thier new receivers, HD or otherwise.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think the cancellation fee is $150, so the question is if you incur the $150 fee, is the box still usable.

Can you still use the hdtv/box and card for Directv and also as a local HD over the air receiver.

·
Registered
877 Posts
$150 prorated for the 12 months.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
The box will work for OTA but won't show program information without a dish unless it's PSIP aware and I don't think the Sony boxes are.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.