AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As of 3 AM PDT, August 30, my NY HD-DNS stations are gone! I still have the LA HD-DNS and all of my NY SD-DNS (380, 382, 386 and 388). This follows what I had been told would happen. I have waivers for all NY SD-DNS.

Does anyone still have both NY and LA HD-DNS (80-89)?

Bill :mad:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm located in Central NJ. Channels 81, 83,87, and 89 are gone.

Channels 80, 82, 86, and 88 remain.

I still have all my SD-DNS Channels, both NY and LA.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I have dns and lost all HD but have all SD feeds!

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
They removed my LA HD-dns just like they announced. No changes for NY/LA SD-dns. I do subscribe to the locals they offer for my area so hopefully that would avoid some of the problems that others have experienced.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Finally, after all the speculation about what might happen, it turns out the "letter" was correct, no more, no less.

I have lost the NY HD stations but still have all four of the NY SD network stations.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
So far, I think I might be better off. I got to add my locals in exchange for losing the west coast HD feed. Still have both coasts SD-feeds. Wife is happy that we have The WB back and since I picked up a second HR10-250 with the BB 50% off coupon fiasco, I should not have any time-shift conflicts.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I live in Chicago and lost all my HD West feeds. Still have East HD feeds.

As for SD have CBS, NBC, and ABC via waivers. They are still on.

Will they soon turn off the SD DNS?

·
Premium Member
48,893 Posts
DirecTV has made no announcement about shutting off the SD DNS stations.

But (although there has been absolutely no indication this will happen) ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox could withdraw their blanket waivers at any time.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Well I lost my west coast HD feeds and kept the sd channels. Is this just a Directv thing or is Dish network doing this as well? I havent heard anyone on Dish complain, shouldnt they be under the same rules?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsims
Well I lost my west coast HD feeds and kept the sd channels. Is this just a Directv thing or is Dish network doing this as well? I havent heard anyone on Dish complain, shouldnt they be under the same rules?
E* only has CBD HD for DNS, thus nothing to lose and nothing to complain about.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsims
Dish is under SHVERA just like DirecTV. However, only DirecTV has a East OR West HD DNS policy. SHVERA does NOT require DirecTV to disconnect both LA and NY HD DNS from a subscriber who had those channels ever since 12/8/04, the date of the enactment of the Law. See the FCC Interpretation of the SHVERA here: http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/shvera.html

Bill

·
Premium Member
48,893 Posts
People tend to forget that Dish was offering out of market feeds to almost anyone for a while back in the day.

A lengthy federal suit ended up with Dish scaling way back (and paying, if I recall correctly, a pretty hefty fine).

Had Charlie been a little less greedy, the particularly tough out of market provisions of the new SHVERA might have been more liberal.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Same here. NY HD gone but still have NY and LA SD plus LA HD.

I must be thick since I still don't get it as to why D* felt compelled to do this. NY HD the only thing removed...what the H..l is that all about?

We DNS guys probably total a max of what? 1 to 5% of D* customers. Its like the 11% who still watch Terra TV. We are a "gnat" on the elephant.

Sure they can take away the SD as well, but by 2009, those go away anyway; don't they?

If the real reason is to not "stir up" the Broadcasters, they should worry more about IPTV. It is only a matter of thime that the broadcasters will just be content providers. They won't have to worry about Infrastructure (antennas, transmitters, etc.) for their business model.

Rant rant rant..........

I just wanted to be left alone and HD TIVO my favorite network shows starting at 5 and watch them at 6 when I got home from work. Perhaps in a few years I can VOD them over the net?

Rant rant rant.....

These guys should be working at McDonalds for as bright as they are.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfa
DirecTV has made no announcement about shutting off the SD DNS stations.
No, but SHVERA does. It clearly states that grandfathered subs have to choose between DNS and LIL, and it also clearly states that to keep HD-DNS you must sub to locals.

I expect the other shoe to drop when we least expect it.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by herdfan
No, but SHVERA does. It clearly states that grandfathered subs have to choose between DNS and LIL, and it also clearly states that to keep HD-DNS you must sub to locals.

I expect the other shoe to drop when we least expect it.
Herd

First: SHVERA says people who have SD waivers will continue to receive SD DNS.

Second: SD DNS will go away after the FCC shuts the analog over-the-air stations down after the Congress decides when to cut them off. Guesses now that will happen NLT December 1998.

After catching all the flak over the HD DNS changes, DirecTV may just let the FCC cut off their source of SD DNS. So enjoy SD DNS while you can. I don't think DirecTV is going to shut these down without letting people know ahead of time.

Bill

·
Premium Member
48,893 Posts
Babula:

I posted a story a while ago from the NY Times about a Russian emigre who has a device he connects to his cable TV in his Moscow apartment-- and it delivers that signal via the internet to his NYC TV set. He is able to record, change channels, etc.

So I agree that sometime -- probably a lot sooner than local broadcasters would like -- network content will be available in some way whenever we want it.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.