AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to decide what to do. I have one HDMI inut, and two HDMI sources. I will use the HDMI for the device that would benefit best from it.

I have an upconverting DVD player that needs the HDMI for 720p output. Or I could use the HDMI for the HD DirecTV, if it gives a much better picture.

What have you guys found to work best in your experiences?

thanks

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I would try both with your DirectTV receiver and see if you can tell a difference. Chances are the component cables will be just fine.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a DirecTV HDTivo and I did not notice ANY difference with the HDMI cable vs. the component. The only thing the HDMI did was seem to produce more saturation which caused me to need to adjust the color. The component cables look just as good as HDMI for me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yeah, the DVI input (female recepticle) on my Sharp Aquos 37" LCD has complete set (rows and columns) of holes. The DVI cable (HDMI to DVI), however, doesn't have all the mini pins at the DVI male plug end. So, not all the mini holes at the DVI input end are used. Is this correct? Also, DVI-D and DVI-I are the same?

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstokas
my HDMI TO DVI does not have all the prongs that the TV has. IS this okay or should I use component?
It's fine, the additional pins are for a dual link DVI cable which you don't need, they probably aren't hooked to anything in the TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cancun1
Also, DVI-D and DVI-I are the same?
No, DVI-D is pure digital, DVI-I contains analog RGB also.

Here's a good read on DVI cables - http://www.datapro.net/techinfo/dvi_info.html

·
Registered
451 Posts
I use HDMI and its fine, but on my rear projection CRT, component is the same. If you have a digital display (DLP, Plasma, LCOS) then HDMI/DVI will eliminate an analog to digital conversion which will provide better results.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I have found that HDMI 'upconverts' the regular stations on my D* HDTivo. The HD channels don't look much different, but the regular channels look better with HDMI over component.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
interesting. I will experiment later on tonight. I have to check out my DVD player as well, it upconverts only on the HDMI cable.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatch
I have found that HDMI 'upconverts' the regular stations on my D* HDTivo. The HD channels don't look much different, but the regular channels look better with HDMI over component.
The HR10-250 upconverts to 480p, 720p or 1080i via HDMI and component depending on which resolution you have picked.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.