AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All these HDTV stuff is new to me...so I appreciate any help!

I have directv SD receiver (D10-200) and subscribe to local channels package. I recently bought a EDTV with a built in HD tuner.

Questions:

1. Would I be able to view the local HD/DTV channels using my existing equipment/setup because I subscribe to the "local channels package"? Or do I have to get the HD package in order to view the local HD channels?

2. I called DirecTV and they told me that since my TV has a built-in HD tuner, I do NOT need to purchase a HD DirecTV receiver to view their HD content. All I need is to pay $20 for a new "access card"(my dish is 3-lnb already). Is this true at all??? How do I hook up the feed/cables with my SD receiver and the new access card?? Would I be able to view just the "local HD channels"?

3. If I subscribe to the HD programming fee, would I be able to view HD channels like ESPN HD or Discovery HD (without purchasing a DirecTV HD receiver)??

Thanks for any information!

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
The D10-200 is a standard-definition receiver only. Looking at the instruction manual, I don't believe it includes any OTA tuner, either. It won't receive the HD channels from DirecTV, only the standard def.

If your TV has a built-in "HDTV tuner" (actually, it's an ATSC digital TV tuner, which, by definition, must tune hdtv and any of the 18 possible sd, ed, and hd broadcast formats), you can get your local stations over the air. However, you said your set is "EDTV", which is "Extended Definition".....not HDTV. So, anything you watch will be displayed as EDTV (no more than 480p) quality, even though it was broadcast in something better.

There are currently no "local" HDTV channels on satellite. Just a few network-owned stations' HD feeds, for use by viewers in markets where the nets own the stations anyway, and don't care if you watch something out-of-market.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the information! I sort of knew that it's EDTV(not HDTV) but as I'd be able to save $1000, I was willing to go ahead with it.

Actually, I am able to view "local OTA DTV/HD channels" using the Samsung plasma's built in ATSC tuner. Unfortunately, for my Samsung EDTV, somehow, there are the vertical bars on the left/right (window box) when viewing 4:3 "OTA DTV/HD channels".

Note that when viewing SD OTA channels, or with S-Video(DirecTV SD 4:3), the TV is able to stretch pictures(4:3 source) to fill the whole screen (using the TV's Panoramic, Zoom1/2 display mode). Those display options are "disabled" when viewing OTA DTV/HD broadcast, and hence I'm stuck with the vertical bars on the sides....

That's why I asked my original questions....in that how I can go about viewing the same local HD channels with DirecTV(via S-Video), because I know for sure that the Samsung plasma is able to stretch the DirecTV programming(4:3 via the S-Video) to fill the whole screen.

Is there a way to get rid of those vertical bars(to prevent burn in)??

Is this behavior universally true for ALL brands, or only with Samsung?

Please help...as I'm not sure how to view HD (OTA local channels)...I hate those vertical bars when viewing the local OTA DTV/HD channels.

Thanks so much for the help!

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by by94
Is there a way to get rid of those vertical bars(to prevent burn in)??

Is this behavior universally true for ALL brands, or only with Samsung?

Please help...as I'm not sure how to view HD (OTA local channels)...I hate those vertical bars when viewing the local OTA DTV/HD channels.
If the program is not produced in widescreen format, most local DTV broadcasters "pillarbox" the 4:3 content, by centering the picture on a black or grey 16:9 field, resulting in vertical "bars" on either side of the picture on your 16:9 TV. Many people prefer this to "stretching" the image out of proportion.

With most displays, I don't think there's anything you can do about this, other than adjust your display's contrast and brightness such that burn-in is less likely to occur, and of course mix in some 16:9 content to your viewing habits.

Alternatively, if you'd rather watch "stretch-o-vision," you should be able to tune in your SD locals on the DirecTV box and stretch that image to fit the screen.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenglish
The D10-200 is a standard-definition receiver only. Looking at the instruction manual, I don't believe it includes any OTA tuner, either. It won't receive the HD channels from DirecTV, only the standard def.

If your TV has a built-in "HDTV tuner" (actually, it's an ATSC digital TV tuner, which, by definition, must tune hdtv and any of the 18 possible sd, ed, and hd broadcast formats), you can get your local stations over the air. However, you said your set is "EDTV", which is "Extended Definition".....not HDTV. So, anything you watch will be displayed as EDTV (no more than 480p) quality, even though it was broadcast in something better.

There are currently no "local" HDTV channels on satellite. Just a few network-owned stations' HD feeds, for use by viewers in markets where the nets own the stations anyway, and don't care if you watch something out-of-market.
"EDTV" is enhanced definition, not extended definition.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a question to anyone who lives in Dallas~ "DIRECTV"

I just ordered the hdtivo and was trying to see what local hd channels in the Dallas market were available

(If any, and I am not referring to ota)...or what channels are they letting us view from other areas...ie, west coast or east coast. My sole intention is to be able to record the big 4..cbs, abc, ext in HD. I have asked the same sort of question a few times but several answers in my opinion really seemed to contradict themselves, so I am starting to get worried/ if we can't receive all 4, then I will most likely cancel the order. Thanks for any answers

·
Registered
385 Posts
Pudgey --

I'm no expert but I will attempt to answer your questions. There are no HD LIL's currently available from D*. According to a live conference call with D* earlier this month, they plan on beginning to offer HD LIL's to the top 12 markets, of which we are 7. As to when this will begin, early November was mentioned in the conference call but NO, I repeat NO solid date has been set. The other thing to remember is that these HD LIL's will be delivered using Mpeg-4 technology. The current HD receiver as well as the HD Tivo use Mpeg-2 technology. So, there will be a need for a new receiver when these HD LIL's become available. According to the conference call, a new HD receiver will be available with the rollout of the HD LIL's, but a new HD DVR won't be available until sometime in early 2006.

I currently receive CBS, ABC, and FOX in HD from D* because I have been granted waivers by the local affiliates. I am currently waiting for an answer from the NBC affiliate. Obtaining waivers can be difficult and frustrating and I feel fortunate to have them. If you do decide to activate D*, you will need to submit waiver requests, but there is NO guarantee that they will be granted. Sorry for being so long winded, and hopefully this information helps.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnyb99
Pudgey --

I'm no expert but I will attempt to answer your questions. There are no HD LIL's currently available from D*.

Not true. NY and LA markets have HD LiL.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I have a question, if you already get the West or East feeds of ABC and CBS HD, shouldn't you get one of the new FOX HD feeds as well, at no extra charge? Currently they want me to "order" it.

How should I handle this phone call?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.