AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The text on the DirecTV site states : "all DIRECTV HD Receivers will receive and integrate your off-air digital local channels"

Does this mean it does OTA HD as well as satellite? That what it sounds like, just wanted to make sure. Looking at taking them up on their current HD offer (satellite, install and receiver for $300).

Thanks,

-Mike

·
Registered
837 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by nibeck
The text on the DirecTV site states : "all DIRECTV HD Receivers will receive and integrate your off-air digital local channels"

Does this mean it does OTA HD as well as satellite? That what it sounds like, just wanted to make sure. Looking at taking them up on their current HD offer (satellite, install and receiver for $300).
Yes, the HD directv receivers have an ota turner built in. Directv offers Samsung or Huges with their HD Deal. (no guarantee which you will get.) Most folks prefer the Samsung. One of the reasons is it outputs simultaneou HD for your HDTV and std broacast for your other tvs in your home. (Someone correct me if I am wrong on this. I don't have a Samsung and only know what I have read.) The other option is to go with a Sony or Zenith and negotiate a credit instead of a free receiver. Others here have said the ota tuner on Sony/Zenith receivers (made by LG) are superior to the Hughes or Samsung.

I have upgraded my program package for HD. I have decided to wait for the Sony HD300 due out in October. Hopefully, the receiver will be here before the new dish install.

Gary

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gmshoemaker
Others here have said the ota tuner on Sony/Zenith receivers (made by LG) are superior to the Hughes or Samsung.

With out a doubt. I had both the Sammy and Sony at the same time. The Sony is a MUCH better unit and the OTA tuner is much superior. The Sammy was having a very hard time with some channels but the Sony would pick them up no problem. As for the s-video always being hot...that is about the only thing the Sammy had going for it..... but Sony now has that on the HD300:)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Could someone post a link to a HD offer for DirectTV? I've looked several places and can never find a package deal for HD that includes installation. I've considered switching from Comcrap HD, but start-up costs always seemed too high.:confused:

·
Registered
67 Posts
*sigh*..... I hate asking this but I HAVE TO!!!! Do i still need to install an outdoor antenna for OTA HDTV when I have one of the DirecTV/HDTV tuners???? According to some guy at BB, he said the HDTV dish (the bigger one :D ) with the triple LNB would receive the OTA channels in HDTV too. I havent read that anywhere but i would assume you guys know what are the facts. I'm this close -||- to getting an HDTV/DirecTV receiver but i dont have an outdoor antenna :( . If i do need one....how bout using the one you can mount on the dish itself???? Thanks in advance for the help!

Alex

·
Registered
109 Posts
You don't need an outdoor antenna in all cases, but you do need an antenna. The Tripple LNB dish will not recieve OTA signals without a clamp on antenna that Terk sells for $59 (JUNK). If you are close enough to the broadcast towres some people have had great results with Zeniths Silver Sensor antenna which can go right on top of your tv. I have an antenna in my attic and it works great.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Atori
*sigh*..... I hate asking this but I HAVE TO!!!! Do i still need to install an outdoor antenna for OTA HDTV when I have one of the DirecTV/HDTV tuners???? According to some guy at BB, he said the HDTV dish (the bigger one :D ) with the triple LNB would receive the OTA channels in HDTV too. I havent read that anywhere but i would assume you guys know what are the facts. I'm this close -||- to getting an HDTV/DirecTV receiver but i dont have an outdoor antenna :( . If i do need one....how bout using the one you can mount on the dish itself???? Thanks in advance for the help!

Alex
Your 3lnb dish + HD receiver (along with HD programming option) will get you HDTV on directv. The ota tuner in HD receivers requires a TV antenna to get local off the air HD channels.

Depending on where you are you may be able to get by with an indoor antenna, an attic antenna or perhaps an outdoor antenna will be required. Most people here agree that the one mounted on the dish is just about worthless.

Gary

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Atori
... If i do need one....how bout using the one you can mount on the dish itself????
YES, you need an OTA antenna to receive the local OTA HD channels.

NO, do not buy one of the clip-on antennas. Most of them don't work well at all, unless you live right by the transmitters. Buy a conventional old fashioned metal antenna. Try cheap indoor models first, if you're not too far from the stations. If that doesn't work, you'll need something like an attic or outdoor antenna.

Once you connect your OTA antenna to the antenna jack on the back of the STB, do a channel scan for OTA channels (see the STB setup menu). The scan will add your local OTA channels to DirecTV program guide.

There is no input switching to go from DirecTV to local OTA channels. Just hit CH + or CH -. The local channels are channels 2-69. Channels 70-999 are DirecTV.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by arxaw
The local channels are channels 2-29. Channels 70-999 are DirecTV.
My locals goup to 68

·
Registered
569 Posts
nibeck,

I have an OTA antenna in my attic. I live about 50 miles from the nearest HDTV braodcast station and I had to put a signal amp on the antenna. I now get 5 local OTA HDTV stations without a problem.:cool:

·
Registered
55 Posts
I clicked on the link fo rthe DirectTV HD offer but it is only for current customers to upgrade. How about a package deal for new customers. I really don't feel like spending much more than $400 for the initial set-up. Any more than that and I would just as soon stay with Comcast.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by traveler
nibeck,

I have an OTA antenna in my attic. I live about 50 miles from the nearest HDTV braodcast station and I had to put a signal amp on the antenna. I now get 5 local OTA HDTV stations without a problem.:cool:
How do you find how far you are from the broadcast station? I went to antennaweb.org and can get a few, just wanting to know.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kipper717
... How about a package deal for new customers.
CircuitCity has the Hughes E86 HD STB for $399, after rebate. Shipping is free. You can order it online or buy it locally.

CC & BestBuy both have DirecTV free 1 or 2 room system installation specials right now, too. In many areas, this includes the multi-sat dish needed for HD channels (ask to be sure). You can get this same free install deal from most local DirecTV installers right now, too.

There are other DirecTV deals. Click here .

·
Registered
837 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kipper717
I clicked on the link fo rthe DirectTV HD offer but it is only for current customers to upgrade. How about a package deal for new customers. I really don't feel like spending much more than $400 for the initial set-up. Any more than that and I would just as soon stay with Comcast.
Hang in there. :) Gary

Here is a press release dated today (emphasis is mine):

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Robert Mercer

DIRECTV, Inc.

(310) 726-4683

Bob Marsocci

DIRECTV, Inc. (On-Site)

(310) 345-4298

DIRECTV Launches New Consumer Promotions and First-Ever Dedicated DIRECTV® DVR with TiVo Advertising Campaign

DIRECTV Showcases Lifestyle Enhancing Next-Generation Advanced Products and Exclusive Enhanced Features at New York Press Event

EL SEGUNDO, CA, Sept. 29, 2003 – DIRECTV, Inc., the nation’s leading digital multichannel television service provider, unveiled today during a press event in New York, a series of new promotions designed to stimulate the growth of DIRECTV Digital Video Recorders (DVRs) and high-definition (HD) television receivers. DIRECTV also announced the launch of its first-ever dedicated DIRECTV® DVR with TiVo consumer advertising campaign intended to simplify the fast-growing product segment and educate customers about how DIRECTV and DIRECTV DVRs can enhance their television viewing experience.

To support DIRECTV’s lifestyle-enhancing focus and lifestyle-driven product campaign, Roxanne Austin, president and COO, DIRECTV, Inc., and Stephanie Campbell, the company’s senior vice president of Programming, showcased

DIRECTV’s latest advanced products – including the DIRECTV® DVR, which is available in 40GB, 80GB and 120GB memory configurations, a DIRECTV HD DVR, a new HD programming package and exclusive NFL SUNDAY TICKET™ enhanced features – in customer-oriented settings specifically tailored to family, female and male/sports enthusiast users.

“We’re continuing to redefine television through a lifestyle-enhancing approach that combines the very best in digital-quality programming, next-generation DIRECTV products and advanced television features,†said Austin. "We’re committed to strengthening our position as a leader in the DVR and HDTV segments – while empowering our more than 11.5 million customers with the means to experience all the fullness of the DIRECTV life."

DIRECTV promotional offers announced at today’s press event include:

1) $99 for any 40GB DIRECTV DVR – The new lower price saves customers more than $100 off the current 40GB DIRECTV® DVR suggested retail price of $249 and is available to new and existing DIRECTV customers beginning Oct.19, 2003 at participating DIRECTV retail locations. Existing DIRECTV customers can also call 1-866-GET-A-DVR to purchase their DIRECTV® DVR.

The 40GB DVRs enables users to digitally record up to 35 hours of programming*. All DIRECTV® DVRs have dual-tuners that allow customers to record two live programs simultaneously or watch one recorded show while recording two live shows simultaneously.

2) DIRECTV “Try It, Like It or Your Money Backâ€â€“ Customers who purchase a DIRECTV DVR and are not completely satisfied can call DIRECTV within 30 days of activation and the company will refund the purchase price of their DIRECTV® DVR up to $100, and replace it with a standard DIRECTV Receiver at no additional cost. This offer is available to new and existing DIRECTV customers Oct. 18, 2003 through Feb. 28, 2004.

3) FREE 3-Room Standard DIRECTV System – New customers can

receive one DIRECTV Multi-Satellite Dish Antenna, three DIRECTV Receivers, three remote controls and standard professional installation with a one-year commitment to any DIRECTV® TOTAL CHOICE® programming package. This offer is available to new customers only through Feb. 28, 2004.

4) DIRECTV HD Receiver Offers – Promotions for new and existing DIRECTV customers are available at select retail locations. These bundled offers include a DIRECTV HD receiver, a triple LNB multi-satellite dish and installation at affordable prices. DIRECTV offers a wide variety of HD programming for customers to choose from including ESPN HD, Discovery Theatre and select games on NFL SUNDAY TICKET.

“DIRECTV’s new, aggressive promotions show our current customers – plus millions more considering switching from cable – how DIRECTV’s advanced products can dramatically enhance the television viewing experience,†explained Campbell. “Specifically, we are making the purchase of DVR and HD receivers more affordable so customers can maximize DIRECTV’s more than 225 all-digital channels.â€

Consumer Advertising Campaign

DIRECTV’s $10 million DVR-dedicated advertising campaign breaks mid-October and will run through the end of the year. Four-color inserts will appear in national consumer magazines, including Maxim, Sports Illustrated, GQ, Entertainment Weekly, InStyle, People and Us, and full-page newspaper ads in USA Today and dailies in New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, Dallas and Atlanta. The advertising campaign illustrates the direct consumer benefits of DIRECTV® programming and the DIRECTV® DVR with TiVo service.

*Actual recording time may vary depending on the size of the hard disk drive and the type of programming being recorded.

DIRECTV is the nation’s leading digital multichannel television service provider with more than 11.5 million customers. DIRECTV and the Cyclone Design logo are registered trademarks of DIRECTV, Inc., a unit of Hughes Electronics Corp. Hughes Electronics Corporation, a unit of General Motors Corporation, is a world-leading provider of digital television entertainment, broadband satellite networks and services, and global video and data broadcasting. The earnings of HUGHES are used to calculate the earnings attributable to the General Motors Class H common stock (NYSE:GMH).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.