AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.k., I am a weirdo and I won't go into all the reasons why...But I am trying to get the HD stations by using a second dish rather than an oval dish. I am using a Toshiba DST. I thought I was golden because the signal level showed both Sat A and Sat B with acceptable signals. However, the program guide is only showing the SD stations. When I tune to 199/509, I get "Station Unavailable".

At first, I thought maybe DirecTv just hadn't authorized it correctly but the assure me that isn't the case. My current thought is that I actually managed to get the second dish pointed at the wrong sats and that both the sat A and sat B inputs are pointing at the same birds. BUT how in the world can I tell? The stupid reciver tries to be "smart" and won't let me register transponder strength for sat B on anything but the correct transponders which overlap exactly with sat A.

Any ideas?

-Jon

·
Registered
456 Posts
So a search on SUBJECT containing 119 ... there are a ton of posts on how to make it work. Constrain the search to the HDTV Hardware forum.

119 is the position of the satellite DirecTV uses for it's hidef programming.

Bob

·
Registered
576 Posts
I just put in the same set-up (I'm weird too), everything works fine. You might be pointed at the 110 satellite (3rd Satellite) instead of the 119 sat. You can tell for sure by tuning to the NASA channel (376) this is only on the 119 bird. Also you must have a 4x4 22mhz microswitch to combine both dishes. If you use a regular multiswitch you will get some channels but not all. At least this was my experience.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm. Cool. It is letting me tune to 376. It gives me the call x721 message which simply means that I am not authorized to view it but it seems to know it exists. So I do seem to be looking at the wrong bird...Of course, now I need to figure out how to find the right one. :)

Actually, I am using a 4x8 multiswitch...too many receivers...:)

-Jon

·
Registered
532 Posts
Jon,

Depending on your location, the dishes should be pointing to different locations in the sky.

Using two dishes, the azimuth and elevation would be different for each one.

When I set up my 119 dish, I connected it to a non-plus receiver and used the signal strength meter to fine tune the dish. I was able to pick up channel 400 at that point. If you do this (with a non-plus receiver), the guide will look very strange.

David

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, after spending 15 minutes in here reading all these posts, I was about to head back to the roof to move the dish when I happened to check it. For some reason, I am now getting channels 400-405, including pictures on 400 and 402. My understanding is that this means that I am actually pointed at the 119 dish. In addition, it now seems to know about 199 and 509. I am not getting a picture on 199 but I am hooked to a SD-TV at the moment so it may be that the toshiba doesn't know how to downconvert. 509 is telling me that it isn't available in my area but I'll worry about that later...

Have to go do some real work but I'll move the receiver into the other room and see if I actually get HD signals later...Thx.

-Jon

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So somebody explain this to me. I can get channel 402 fine. I believe that means that I am pointing correctly at the 119 bird.

However, when I go to 509 (and yes I have HBO), it tells me "programming unavailable in your area". Channel 199 simply gives me a blank screen with no message.

DirecTv tech support tells me that this means I am not pointing at the correct satellite. However, if that was the case, I shouldn't get channel 402...correct?

How can I be getting 402 but not 199/509? Searched all the old posts but I don't see anyone in the same boat...

-Jon

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
One simple test is channel 400. If you're pointing at 119 you'll get it in Spanish. If not, English.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. 400 is in english. One of the other threads told me to make sure that I got it but they didn't say it had to be in spanish. :)

I'll work on moving the dish again tonight.

-Jon

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
In the Dish Setup part of the Installation menu do you have it set to "Oval Dish 2"?

The receiver does not distinguish between one elliptical and two round dishes.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, I do. Thx. However, I got home after dark (and I had a new XBox to play with) so I haven't had a chance to get on the roof yet.

Pretty sure that I simply am pointing at the wrong bird at this point. Just got confused because I thought the fact I was seeing 400 and 402 meant I was on the 119 bird...

-Jon

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
"However, the program guide is only showing the SD stations."

Another thought:

The Oval Dish 2 setting should place the 119° channels into your guide. Try updating the guide either by removing and then replacing your zip code, or by pulling the plug briefly or via a soft reboot (SAT, ACTION, POWER).

That you are able to receive 376 NASA indicates that you are indeed in contact with the 119° satellite.

I can receive the 400 channels in Spanish on my HD receiver, which is wired for 119°. I cannot get them in any language on non-plus or on plus receivers which are not wired for 119°. To me, this means that they are on the 119° satellite. [The different wiring is a function of a weird but workable multiple multiswitch arrangement that is irrelevant to this thread.]

By the way, using two round dishes is not such a crazy idea. I was one of the first to do so, and am quite happy with the arrangement.

·
Registered
36 Posts
hi guys ...I DONT SAY MUCH ON THESE SITES , BUT HERE'S SOME GOOD TIPS ..........2 separate dishes will give you a FAR SUPERIOR signal than the elliptical dish; I have installed dozens of elliptical dishes , and did R & D on this matter for one week at my own house , with meters , before i finally decided on the 2 dish system . Regardless what anyone says , ....anyone ...., the 2 dish system for directv or dishntwk is superior in sig strength , especially on the 119 satellite , AND ON MULTI-DISH INSTALLS , is more flexible to work with . Then i upgraded even more , from 2 -24'' dishes , to 2-36'' dishes , and get an even stronger video synch signal which gave the incoming signal more punch , more drive , and lil' brighter pic. I now have 2 separate directv systems at the house , one being a 36'' dish dual lnb feeding an 8 way Spaun MS for non-hdtv receivers & tv's , and the second system now being , as of 11-16, my hi-def system using , one 36'' for the 101 sat and one 42'' feeding the 119 hdtv sat, to a jayco 22khz MS , 5in x 4 out , powerd for signal strength and voltage intensity back to the lnb's , ....and the pic clarity, sharpness , and brightness(punch) on the hdtv dish system is better overall than the non hdtv system , even on the highly compressed bandwith directv satellites . If and when they loosen up the bandwith and stop compressing so much , it'll probably be even better. Reference sets are all hi-end 35'' direct view or larger hitachi , toshiba ....and the hdtv sets are the equiv quality or larger , and the hdtv system even feeds my 62'' Pioneer RPTV . The directv signal is very very nice on the dual dish system to non hdtv rcvrs , BUT the pic quality is stunning on the dual dish hdtv system , feeding PLUS recvrs , and an rca DTC-100 HDTV rcvr. HDTV rcvr opinions are all subjective , IMHO, except for the new zenith which is the best , bar none , but the dtc-100 (as well as the others out there ) , when fed a precise satellite signal as well as a rotor controlled OTA signal , with a minimum amount of multi-path , is as GOOD as or better than most , especially w the features of the A5.01 firmware update . i know cause i've tried them all , and you get the most bang for the buck w the rca , and its a proven performer . I'm not a big RCA fan either , but i have to give credit , when credit is due . The RCA HDTV receiver is a very good performer. Member guys , when increasing the dish size , ur gonna get more signal strength , and less chance of rain fade , but more importantly , u're gonna get more video punch , or drive , from the signal ( a stronger more intense IF signal to the recvrs), especially when using ms's , and even needed more so , in 4 in or 5 in X 4 out or more , with cable runs over 50' in either direction . Also, ALWAYS use a powered multi-switch , and/or amps in line , close to the source , that being the dish , and/or dual launch amplifiers .........regardless about what anyone says about cable runs under 100'..........WHY???..here's what'll happen ; may not happen on every system , from the get-go , but it probably will, so alleviate it before it happens .....

u'll get weird lil video idiosynchrocies , drop outs , occasional flasshing , weird signal , poor transponder switching , etc , etc .... intermittant stuff ya just cant pinpoint , especially when u've checked everything in the system and ALL checks out perfect....and then to compound the problem , everyone will tell ya 20 different stories of how to correct it . Lolol, It seems the problem is , that the multiswitches and the 3, 4, 5, 6 , 7, 8, or more , rg-6 cables you are using , combined w the switches , are sucking the signal out of the line / cable as well as the voltage going back to the lnb's . The signal and the voltage gets sucked almost dry, and then you start having lil problems here and there . SOLUTION , Power em' up as per the above and no more problems ; utilize line level signal boosting (amplifiers )as well as voltage boosting for the lnb's , especially as the weather gets cold in the north ; u'll absolutely get signal and power attenuation, because of the cable / multi- switch loss in the cold weather. i know , i've learned from experience about all that over the last 8 years . Always use rg-6 , quality cable , belden , commscope , etc, etc, not necessarily quad shield either, as the diff in cost is neglble on runs of 50' or more . Always utilize Blonder-Tongue , Spaun and Jayco products , at the very least , especially the Spaun , as those brands are the absolute finest multi-switches and amps that you can buy , and are readily available at most any good satellite / custom installer , or video supply house ; and whenever possible , conceal or hide from the weather your electronic switches ; keep everything out of the wet whenever possible . . ....on regular low-end systems use whatever suits your needs , but if you are designing or building hi-end , precise video , directv/dishnetwork multi rcvr systems , to include off-air and hdtv , dont use or substitute for anything but the finest quality that you can buy . You'll be glad you did when you see the finished end result of your work.

All of the above is based on experience , is not subjective or opinionated , and it has proven time and time again , on hundreds of hi-end installations to WORK , and perform excellantly !!...even at my own house .

good luck and happy satelliting'

billy c

northeast satcomm div.

performance a/v div.

everett ma. 02149

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.