AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sizing furniture for a planned plasma purchase and my stereo gear.

I plan to purchase a 50" Fujitsu, subscribe to DirecTV and purchase the new HDTV Tivo box. To my knowledge, this box combines both the Tivo and the satellite receiver, right?

I know the dimensions of my stereo equipment but need to figure out how big the DirecTV box is to help decide on plasma furniture.

Can anyone help me with the size or better yet a link describing it?

TIA for your help!

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a ton for the quick reply! Now I can go out and properly plan my purchase.

Brian

· Registered
1,285 Posts
You're gonna love that setup. I've got one on a 50" panasonic and it is sccchhhwweeeet!

· Registered
412 Posts
Thanks for the manuals. One question about the selection of the video (480p, 720p, 1080i, etc). Is this selection done by the machine based on the show being watched or recorded? Or is this something that has to constantly be set by the user? My current HD receiver just selects what is needed for me and I hope this machine does as well. Let me know.

· Registered
412 Posts
Do you just set it at the max your setup can handle? Like could I just set it to 720p or do I literally have to change it for watching SD? I guess I am wondering how it is used and what the best results come from. Thanks for any help if this even makes sense.

· Registered
2,083 Posts
It makes perfect sense. Depending on your display, you can set it to 720p and forget about it. The problem some people have with this is they lose zooming capabilities on 4:3 material. If you don't mind watching everything in Original Aspect Ratio, you can set it and leave it. With my display, I've turned off all resolutions except 1080i and 480p. That way I can toggle between the two on the HD TiVo. I watch all 480 as 480p and all HD at 1080i.

· Registered
369 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JATWolf
Do you just set it at the max your setup can handle? Like could I just set it to 720p or do I literally have to change it for watching SD? I guess I am wondering how it is used and what the best results come from. Thanks for any help if this even makes sense.
It depends on which device you think has the better scaler/stretcher for SD content, your display or the HDTivo. You get to pick which of the four modes you want (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i) according to your display's capabilities, and the HDTivo will convert all output to that format - there isn't a "native" passthrough like some STBs have.

You will have to see how much better/worse SD looks on your display with the various modes, and then you can flip through them with the up arrow while watching if you like. The bigger your display, the more difference you may see.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.