AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a problem when a channel is broadcasting in dolby digital. I have my directv HD Tivo connected to my Panasonic 42px500 plasma via an HDMI cable.

I have my Tivo set to play and record in dolby digital. My px500 is set to receive a digital signal. The problem is whenever I view a channel broadcasting in DD, I get nothing but loud static and cracking noises through the TVs speakers. Non-DD broadcasts, the sound is fine. Through my receiver, the sound is fine. If I plug in regular audio cables, I then set my px500 to receive analog, the sound is then ok on all channels, but of course it's not DD anymore. Also, if I change my Tivo to NOT record and play in DD, the sound is fine on all channels.

As a test, I connected my Panasonic S77 DVD player to my px500 via HDMI, and the DD sound played fine through the TV.

So it sounds like there is some sort of problem with the Tivo transmitting DD through HDMI. Has anybody had any experiences such as this?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by showard594
maybe a stupid questions but does your plasma have a dd decoder? if not you will get noise like you are getting now.
I thought it did, but based on posts I've read maybe it doesn't. It's strange because it has an optical out to pass digital sound to a receiver. Also in the HDMI audio set up, there's an option to have the signal detected automatically, or set for analog or digital.

Based on this, I thought it was.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.