AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it recommended to use the 720P or 1080i setting on the Directv receiver? I have a 50" Panasonic hooked up with HDMI.

I am not sure that 1080i is the best picture setting or not.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Try both settings with a variety of programming and use what looks best to you.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Is it only one or the other?

I've got my h20 set to native so it auto switches to what ever the channel happens to be weather its 480p,720p or 1080i. Oddly my TV doesn't allow 480i over commponet. But 480p works for those SD channels.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
The correct setting is the one that looks best on your specific TV & D* receiver combination. On some TVs, D* native looks best. On others, setting the D* box to output everything to 720p or 1080i will look best.

Use your eyes and pick the setting that looks best to you. If you really can't tell a difference, pick either 720p or 1080i output only and turn off native. Channel changes will be faster.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have my HR21 set to Native as well.

·
Registered
419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arxaw /forum/post/14189705

Use your eyes and pick the setting that looks best to you. If you really can't tell a difference, pick either 720p or 1080i output only and turn off native. Channel changes will be faster.

+1 to that. It's all about what looks best to you. And as stated, if you see no real difference, just turn off native for snappier channel changes.

My TV doesn't do 720p -- just 1080i -- so the decision is easy for me...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts